Saturday, May 28, 2011

Three Spinsters in Idaho

I am spending a glorious, long Memorial Day weekend on a beautiful ranch in New Meadows, Idaho...which, on a map, looks like it's truly in the middle of nowhere.


After flying into Boise, it's a 3-hour drive through mountains, along lakes, white rapids, and winding roads.


Vita, my traveling companion and fellow Spinster, wondered if Lin --our host-- had lost his mind. WTF was he doing way out here? And then, we pulled onto the property ( he has 108 acres), we quickly answered our own question. It is magnificent!


Here's the view from the dining room window.


And the dogs.


And one of the horses.


We spent the weekend, eating, talking, drinking wine, lazing around, walking the ranch, feeding the horses, and watching elk at night. We drove into town, McCall, to visit a hat maker (Lin has dozens of cowboy hats)...


...and for dinner with friends at The Shore Lodge.


It even snowed one day! Yep. Snow in what is almost summer!


Lin has made quite a nice life for himself here. Vita, Lin, and I used to work together at an ad agency in NYC. Then Lin sold his fancy Upper East Side apartment and traded in his city life for that of a cowboy out west. Lin is a male Spinster. In other words, a Bachelor. (Notice that an unmarried man is a Bachelor if he's 25 or if he's 55). He's had an array of belles on his arm and even a fiance, but he never married. I think that could change soon, though. It seems that the folks out here are all determined to hook him up. A well-financed, straight, single, man-of-certain-age is like a prize out here. Everywhere, really. So the next time Vita and I venture out here ( and there will definitely be a next time), I wonder if the Three Spinsters in Idaho will be minus one. (Vita and I don't have people clamoring to hook us up. I'm just sayin'.) Lin is making oyster stew for us now, and preparing for a dinner party later this evening. What a fantastic trip this has been. Spinsterlicious, indeed!,

Location:New Meadows, Idaho

6 comments:

Annie H said...

I'm new to your blog but as a Spinster of a Certain Age, I'm happy to see younger women embracing their Spinster life.

Anyway, viva Spinsterhood.

Have a lovely time in the wilderness. It is beautiful, isn't it?

Rhona said...

Sounds wonderful. What a perfect way to spend a long weekend.

Nandi said...

I love love love this blog. Everytime I see a new one come in I get excited about what jewel awaits me. And your trip to Idaho sounds like everything I've dreamed of. Can't wait to hear from you again.

Janine said...

Looks lovely, and I'm sure your friend was thrilled to have such wonderful, stimulating company. I am inching my way towards a "sea change" myself, and having tested the waters by spending six months in Tasmania, I highly recommend that life for spinsters. While the values are more conservative in rural areas, you feel less pressure to compete and the men are much nicer and less inclined to mess with your head and heart. Not that I bothered looking much - my surroundings were so drop-dead gorgeous I found I seldom felt empty or alone. However, I would recommend getting a job of some kind before blowing $40,000 or so of savings. That's why I'm back in Sin City :(

Molly said...

Looks like a gorgeous slice of heaven and a fantastic place to chill out.
Glad you had such a great time.

eleanore said...

Thanks, everybody, for your support and kind words. This was a fantastic trip and I was happy to share it with you...and nobody said "who cares"! :-)