Tuesday, May 10, 2011

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!! NO REALLY!!

What in the world is happening with Mother's Day!?  I was amazed, mystified, and somewhat amused all last week.  The run-up to Mother's Day was a major extravaganza...on steroids!  It seems to me that, this year more than any other, Mother's Day surpassed the over-the-topness of Christmas.

The television and newspapers ads were kind of what I'd expect.  Their job is to get you to spend as much as you can on a Mother in your life or, clearly, you're not a good person.  A card, a bouquet of flowers, or a loving visit are definitely not enough.  Advertising does this every year, though it seemed a little dialed up this year.  The gifts were more lavish, with at least one ad suggesting that Mom deserves a new car!

People on Facebook were encouraged to "show their love" for their Moms by posting a picture of her. I thought it was a cute gesture, but then it started to seem a little forced.  If you didn't do it, are you an unappreciative daughter? (This seemed targeted to women for some reason).    

Every one of the morning news shows and daytime talk shows, every single day last week, had a segment (or three) of all kinds of people proclaiming, repeatedly, their love, love, love for their mothers on national tv. The more excessive, the better.  Last week, every mother was perfect.  Nobody had a shaky relationship with their Mom, everyone was blessed with a paragon of virtue and goodness.  

What really tripped me up, though, was the number of people who wished me a Happy Mother's Day on Sunday.  I'm not a mother. I didn't mind it, but I did think it odd.  New Yorkers, who barely speak to each other on a normal day, were saluting total strangers with Happy Mother's Day.  Honestly, this happened to me 9-10 times.  I decided I must really look like a Mother until I heard from my sister and my friend Cece (neither of whom are Mothers) that the same thing had happened to them in Washington, DC where they live. 


Is it the assumption that every woman is a Mother...or would it just be too awful to overlook a Mother, so we just say it to everyone lest we not give someone her due?

When did Motherhood reach iconic status...in such public and exaggerated way?  Motherhood used to just be what women did.  Now it's larger than life.


I don't really know what this is about, but I can't help but wonder if it's not more than a coincidence that all this celebratory celebration is happening at the same time that a spate of articles and books are being published revealing that for many women Motherhood is harder, more stressful, and more depressing than they thought it'd be. A teeny tiny sampling:


 At the same time that some brave women are admitting that this Motherhood thing ain't all it's cracked up to be, we're on the counter-attack to prove them wrong.  Why??  Isn't it ok for a woman not to be a Mother?  And isn't it okay for some women to admit they're not having a grand time with it?  What does it mean that we feel so compelled to concoct a myth rather than just live in truth?








NOTE:  If you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe in the box on the right -or- if you have a Google Account, you can click on "Follow Me" also on the right, near the bottom.   You'll receive an email each time there's an update to the blog.  Don't miss a Spinsterlicious update!



5 comments:

Josie said...

It was Mother's Day? Really? How did I miss that?
Sorry, enough sarcasm. Thank you for not posting about the glories of motherhood!
I agree with you totally.
Josie x

Cham said...

I spent yesterday with my mother. She (again) told me she didn't like one thing I was doing with my life. She didn't like my plans for the summer. There was a lot of crying on her part about my abject failures. I thought I did pretty well with the day, I only told her to shut up once. Oh yeah, I do love me some mother.

Benilde Little said...

It's funny, I am a mother, was traveling with my children in Atlanta and in the airport on Sunday and NO ONE wished me a Happy Mother's Day other than my family. (Wait, I did get a couple of those mass texts people send to everyone in their phone book). The following day, back home in my suburban town, walking toward the gym, a well put together young man said hello and a belated happy mother's day, adding, "if you're a mother." Motherhood is no longer something women "just" do because for the most part, at least the women who are probably this audience, have children by choice; we have other options now. Being a mother is the hardest thing I know of and while I, and most of us, love our children more than anything on earth, there are moments, hours, when we are so worn out by the task that we question why the hell we signed up in the first place. Trying to have a career and raise kids...
There are aspects of being single and childless that are not so great same just as there are for women who are mothers.
As for all the bromides, after the meconium and bleeding breasts and sucking out mucus--I think we deserve all the attention anyone wants to lay on us. I, for one, happily receive all gifts, cards and phone calls because for just about 300 other days, the job goes unnoticed.

Molly said...

I got a few "Happy Mother's Day" greetings from strangers, and like you, I'm not a Mother.
What I think is happening, is that due to the advertising and media hype, Mother's Day is just becoming another one of those holiday's where we wish others well - almost in the same way we wish those we meet a "Happy St Patty's Day", no matter whether the wishee is irish or not.
It's become a big holiday, and the people you encounter are simply wishing you a happy day on this special occasion.
I came to this conclusion as I saw two people wish my brother a Happy Mother's Day.

auntdanny said...

I totally love Cham's sense of humor. Yeah, I have been sick of Mother's Day and all the hype for some time now but it seems like each year it gets worse with all the hoopla. I don't know if it's because I don't have a Mother and am not a Mother. And frankly,I find it offensive when someone wishes me a Happy Mother's Day. AuntDanny