Friday, May 13, 2011

Other Women's Husbands

I can't ever remember wanting to be married.  The all-the-time-ness of it always seemed like too much.  I thought (and still think) that a husband would be a nice thing to have...but not every single day.  (Boyfriends are much better because they go home and, eventually, go away.)


If I could've figured out a sane way to have a (faithful) husband on a part-time basis, I possibly would have married at some point in my life.  Possibly.  But this week I realized that I have kind of figured out the part-time husband thing.  He's just not my husband.  More correctly, they're not my husband.  


You see, it occurred to me that I've come to rely on the husbands of my friends to do the things that my own husband would do if he existed.  (Well, no, not everything.  This is all very G-rated).  I'm fortunate to have a number of good girlfriends who are married to great guys.  Guys who willingly pitch in when I don't have a beau to do whatever it is that needs doing.  (I say "willingly"; I'm just hoping that's true).


This week I leaned particularly heavy on other women's husbands but, when I think about it, this is the kind of thing I've done for a long time.


Really, it's the best of both worlds.  They're funny and smart and useful...and then they go home...to their wives...before we start to get on each other's nerves.


A sampling of how other women's husbands have made my life better?



  • Today, Susan's husband took a ride with me as I went to confront my wayward tenant about not paying the rent.  Having a man with me gave me more confidence, and I thought it would be handy to have him if a fight broke out.  (Kidding...but just a bit).


  • Every day this week, Traci's husband helped me with my new computer that I don't know how to use.


  • Last summer, Lorraine's husband really hooked me up.  He re-arranged and fixed so many things in my house that it almost looked like new when he was done.


  • Once, I left an old car at this same house and didn't drive it for awhile.  Benilde's husband cleaned out the nest that some critters had made in the car engine.  (I would have just given the car away.  No way was I going near that).

The list goes on and on.  I'm very lucky to have friends who so freely share their husbands because Lord knows I wouldn't know what to do with one of my own.  Thanks, Girlies!!




NOTE:  If you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe in the box on the right -or- if you have a Google Account, you can click on "Follow Me" also on the right, near the bottom.   You'll receive an email each time there's an update to the blog.  Don't miss a Spinsterlicious update!












6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very glad that you have such good friends - friends are what makes life so rich and beautiful.

Great :-)

i0lan....

Rhona said...

I totally relate. My sisters fiance does things for me (like burn movies, do anything on my computer I can't figure out, moves things) all the time. When I lived in Ottawa my BFF's husband took it upon himself to help me set up my computer, rearrange furniture and the like. It was great bc after I said thanks, they all leave. Like you, I have never had a desire to get married (or have kids). I cannot stand all this forever crap and like my peace and space.

Anonymous said...

How insightful!

Anonymous said...

I'm guilty of the same E. I've often thought about starting a company, "rent-a-husband" for that very reason. I'm fairly independent and have a torn rotator cuff to prove it but there's some crap that I'd rather not do or simply can't lift.

SY Guy said...

E, this is wonderfully insightful and fun! D thought so too! She wants some of those part-time husbands! SY-Guy

Molly said...

Feel free to call on my husband for your computer issues. Traci's husband is going to be very busy and tired very soon. :)