Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Josie: Spinsterlicious Reader of the Month!

From time to time, I get questions about the women who post comments on my blog.  "Who is she?"  "What's her story?"  I sometimes wonder about them, as well, so I thought it would be fun to find out. 


A few people have asked about Josie.  Josie and I have never met, but she's kind of a "friend in my head". Her take on a situation is often different from mine, so I look forward to her comments, and I also read her blog, Josie Speaks Up.




 Technically, she's not a spinster because she's been married, but she still shares much in common with many of us.  I asked her to share a few thoughts about herself...so in her own words: 

I enjoy Eleanore’s blog because she embraces the Spinsterlicious Life, and that’s what I’m trying to do.   I always was a late starter and despite wanting to get married, it didn’t happen until I had completely given up hope.  I met him on-line, and the sad thing is that he was the perfect man for me: sexy, attractive, thoughtful, intelligent, witty, considerate, patient, and a great dancer too.  I never wanted kids and he was OK with that.  So why was it sad?  He was then diagnosed with cancer, and I lost him four years later. So here I am single again, and surprisingly actually enjoying most aspects of single life.

I am dating because one day I think I’d like to be married again- although I’d hate to share my space again.  Maybe we could live next door to each other?  Dating, however, is leaving a lot to be desired. There’s a dearth of men in Melbourne (Australia). The ones I do get contact from on-line want to date someone 20 years younger than themselves, in which case I’m invariably not attracted to them.

In the meantime I try to figure where I fit in, and how I can be happy. Today’s society is filled with married couples and families - the ‘norm’ is celebrated and marketed everywhere.  I swing between sometimes feeling lonely and yet often loving being alone. So I work on appreciating what I have, appreciating my freedom, and appreciating the fact that I got to have any time at all with my husband.

Watching someone die makes you re-evaluate your priorities. So I decided I didn’t want to spend my life simply working, being stressed and putting all my energy into my job, and I decided to pursue my dreams.

What are my dreams? They are very modest. I want to be able to speak French, fluently. So I quit my job and returned to university. I am happy surviving on much less money that I had previously, and I study French. I am very bad at it.  Eventually, however, I will start doing some travel and live in France for six months to a year. I’m saving now. 

And of course, there’s blogging. I had forgotten how much I love to write, and mock myself. If you’ve finished reading all about me, you’d be forgiven for thinking I have little reason to laugh, but the opposite is true. I generally laugh long and hard



Quitting your job to follow a dream?  That's a pretty gutsy move...and that's why Josie is our Spinsterlicious Reader of the Month!  Thanks, J.  You have quite a story.   Good for you, much luck, and many thanks for supporting The Spinsterlicious Life!







NOTE:  If you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe in the box on the right -or- if you have a Google Account, you can click on "Follow Me" also on the right, near the bottom.   You'll receive an email each time there's an update to the blog.  Don't miss a Spinsterlicious update!

6 comments:

angie said...

Good luck Josie!

DaisyMama said...

Thank you for sharing your story, Josie! I love this blog.

auntdanny said...

Hi Josie,
Interesting story and you are brave. I'm like you in that I think I want to date again but on't want to share my space. Divorced and have dated but it has been three years since I have had a steady. A problem now is sharing my space. This is a new feeling and it's crazy. Hmmmm!
Auntdanny

Molly said...

Thanks for sharing your story Josie, and good luck with the french lessons!

Josie said...

After a VERY LONG TIME it occurred to me to come back and see if there were any comments responding to my little posting. I have no idea why it didn't occur to me before. . . So anyway thank you for responding and commenting.
Angie, Callie, auntdanny, and Molly: After I wrote all that I had a bit of a "down" introspective time but feel like I'm back on the right track. . .sort of. Often I don't feel brave either, just a little aimless.
Thanks once again, eleanore, for featuring me, and being an inspiring spinsterlicious woman!
Josie x

Ms Lupita said...

Josie, its been a while, but I'm wondering what's happened? I looked for Josie Speaks Up and the blog is no longer active. Hope all is well, and that you've found everything you hoped for.