Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My Knees, My Gut



I started running again a few weeks ago…against doctor's advice.   I was a runner for years and it's the only exercise I enjoy.   I had knee surgery in 2001 and was instructed that running wasn't "helpful" to the situation.   So I stopped; doctor's orders, right?  I was advised to find some other form of exercise that I enjoy that is better for my knees.   I knew that no such thing existed, but I gave it a shot anyway.  So I joined a gym and wouldn't go.   And I bought a bike that I wouldn't ride...except on occasion, but not often enough to be considered part of my exercise regimen.  In fact, once I stopped running, I didn't really have an exercise regimen.  I'd walk just about everywhere, but walking is slow and is really only a bare-minimun exercise, in my opinion.  It's supplemental, at best.


 I don't enjoy any exercise as much as I do running.   Said differently, I hate all exercise except running.   Plus my other (unoperated on) knee hurts anyway.   It hurt all those years when I wasn't running, so what's the difference?  




But what really got me to lace up my running shoes again was my gut.  Not the gut that = intuition.   The gut that was threatening to hang over the waistline of my jeans.   I'm not having that.   I know that the mid-section of women-of-a-certain age tends to plump up as the body goes through hormonal changes.   I already know that.   But I don't like it.   I've never really had a gut before and I'm not interested in making friends with one now.


I'm accepting of many bodily changes related to aging.  I'm okay with my softer thighs, that funny crinkly skin on my underarms, the cellulite on my butt, my not-as-perky boobs.  But the gut thing pisses me off.  I'm drawing the line there.   So I'm hitting the road with my running shoes, iPod, and knee brace.  


If you hear about me in the hospital for a knee operation, just send me some flowers and leave out the "they told you so" lecture.  My knee might be a mess, but my waistline will be intact...like it's supposed to be.






NOTE:  If you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe in the box on the right -or- if you have a Google Account, you can click on "Follow Me" also on the right, near the bottom.   You'll receive an email each time there's an update to the blog.  Don't miss a Spinsterlicious update!

5 comments:

Dazediva said...

HI ya ! found your blog via the Lady Blogger Social Tea Party !

I totally hear ya on the gut issue - never had a gut before, and ever since I moved to India (and back in the parental home) its like it is slowly creeping up on me ! So back to the gym in full force to get rid of it!

MeghanSwim said...

To start I want to say I love your blog!I look forward to your new posts regularly and have to admit I named my apartment my spinsterlicious spot once discovering your blog. I wanted to connect with you because I have a friend that had a similar knee issue, it had snapped and she was told she would have to replace it and she found a natural remedy that has changed her life trumendously. I would love to connect you two so you can hear her story, and what her solution was and see if it may be an option for you!! My email is meghan@inspireyouraffluence.com

Josie said...

Good luck with the running- go gently. . . as for the gut, I know you've probably heard me say this before: Bikram yoga. No gut, in fact, little abs. But, enjoy the running.
Josie x

eleanore said...

Josie: I want to do Bikram yoga...actually, I don't. What I meant to say is I WISH I wanted to do Bikram Yoga. I hear lots of good things about it.

Miss Phitt said...

Same same - bikram yoga is the way forward! Or pole dancing- a workout u can do in your high heels! Xx