Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Dilemma

I had drinks a few weeks ago with an old friend.   Teresa and I went to high school together and hadn't seen each other pretty much since we graduated.   We re-met when she came to NYC for what could be called somewhat of a mid-life reinvention.    She decided she wants to change careers and she needed to come to New York for re-education and training.

I admire people who aren't afraid of change. Staying in place can be comfortable, but sometimes comfortable is also a euphemism for stuck.   So I think it's pretty cool that she uprooted her life at this age, moved to NYC, found an apartment, and dove right in.   This is especially notable because Teresa is married.   So now she has a commuter marriage.

I admire her husband, too, for "allowing" her to do this.   "Allowed" as in was supportive and didn't make it hard on her or try to make her feel guilty for leaving the marital home to satisfy her own needs.   Lots of guys wouldn't have done that, and I think it's great that he did.

Ok, so now, here's the clincher.   School's over, Teresa has graduated and now it's time to go back to the home, husband, friends, and life she left a year ago.   Except she's not sure that she wants to.  Nothing against the husband (as far as I know), but I think she fell in love with New York and her new life here.   Plus, NY (or LA) is where she needs to be to jumpstart this new career.  But hubby's waiting for her in a different city.  So now what?

And you know what (as I insert myself into the story), this is one of the things that always scared me about marriage.   How do two people grow in the same direction and want the same thing all their lives?   Here Teresa got a taste of a different life and she's liking it.  What does this mean for them as a couple?

 I don't think hubby wants to move here.  He's self-employed so starting over in a new city with a new customer base wouldn't be easy.  Plus, that wasn't their deal.   But Teresa's got a taste of a new life and new possible career and going back to what was may not work for her anymore.

I don't know what she's decided to do, but I don't envy her.   This is a tough one.   What would you do?



NOTE:  If you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe in the box on the right -or- if you have a Google Account, you can click on "Follow Me" also on the right, near the bottom.   You'll receive an email each time there's an update to the blog.  Don't miss a Spinsterlicious update

4 comments:

Josie said...

Ooh, it's certainly a tricky one. I take your point about people moving in the same direction too. Will you let us know what your friend decides? Maybe even how she decides?
Josie x

ANGELA said...

Dilema is right.... this is a situation that offers two possibilities and I ask myself these questions: Do I stay and turn my dreams into reality? Do I stay and create prosperity, a joyful lifestyle? And more importantly, do I become courageous, fearless in freeing those inhibitions that crippled me, and live the best life that I'd promised myself, when I turned 50 years old. The answer is YES to all the questions above. At this point, there are no other possibilities. I feel that I'm during my internship here in NYC, building and practicing living life, pursuing my dream, enjoying myself, living life like it's golden. As Jill Scott would say.

The "Law of Attraction" is real. Be careful what you ask for....you'll just might get it and a Manhattan Apt. and a gig on Time Square. It has been a awesome journey. If you believe it in your soul and your spirit, you can conquer anything you set your mind to.

As for hubby.....He says he loves and support me on this one...Yeah, he "gets me" ...but I don't really know his limit. Let's see what's it is, because I plan to stay on this ride until the wheels fall off. :)

You owe it to yourself to try to live your best life ever because it is the most rewarding thing that you can do for yourself and others.

Peace and blessings,

Anonymous said...

Go Teresa! Live your life to the fullest. You only get one chance at this thing called life. Kudos to the husband- He must be a stand-up type of guy. He obviously loves you to pieces because he is willing to deal with a commuter marriage as Spinsterlicious calls it. All things work together for the good for those who love the Lord! Have to get spiritual on you. If it is meant to be, It will be!!!

Towanda!! Power princess!! :-)

Ms Lupita said...

So several more months have passed on by, just wondering what's happened since. Having someone supportive is the best thing ever, although I'm sure at times difficult as one feels they compromise more than the other. I had someone who shot down every single thing I wanted to do, I still did some of them. But felt as if I was doing something wrong at times. Now all I surround myself with is people who support me and all the crazy schemes I come up with.