Friday, June 3, 2011

Apologies to All...In Advance

Apologies for this post.  Apologies to you, dear reader, who might find it in poor taste and apologies to the woman who wrote me asking for my advice, in case she feels I embarrassed her.   I'm often asked for advice; I usually respond off-line, but sometimes I post about it.  (See Life's Too Short and Short Stint As An Advice Columnist).  I'm not a professional in this regard, I'm just a woman with an opinion.  This time, though, I was stumped.  Not so much about what to do in the immediate situation, but more about the subtext.  


So, here's what I'm going to do.  Below is the letter.  I'm asking you guys to answer it:




"I'm sitting at a bar by myself and I just ordered a cocktail after a hectic week.   I'm shocked this was my first one in a few days.  That's so unlike me.  That just shows how busy I've been.  I do not mind sitting alone but two really fat women just sat next to me.  Is it wrong if I move?  I'm hoping some cute boy might come along and buy me a drink. That's less likely to happen with [these big women*] sitting next to me." (*I re-worded a disparaging term for something more neutral].


What would you have said, if you received this note?  I'm dying to "hear".






NOTE:  If you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe in the box on the right -or- if you have a Google Account, you can click on "Follow Me" also on the right, near the bottom.   You'll receive an email each time there's an update to the blog.  Don't miss a Spinsterlicious update!

12 comments:

Josie said...

On the other hand, she looks even better compared to these larger size women, so maybe it's even more likely a cute boy will buy her a drink.
By the way, is it important that the boy be cute, or is it more important that he buys her a drink?
Josie x

Anonymous said...

Attractions are different for all individuals... Who's to say that the cute "boy" might find her attractive and not the big women? The fact that she's looking for a boy also says something about her! Just because you may feel good about yourself and know that you are good looking, (confidence is a good thing) does not guarantee that you will get hit on in all situations. It is however, quite rude to judge others.... I say to this person----- Go forth and conquer all boys that just might come along.!!

Anonymous said...

I think this "woman" needs to get over herself.

DaisyMama said...

Not to sound all judge-y, but does she really have this kind of time? :) What a quandary. Life is so complicated. I'd tell her to start digging a little more deeply.

Anonymous said...

Omg ...amazing. I do not envy you. So where do we start with this one? First, I like the comment that she hasn't had a drink, surprisingly in days. Hmmm ...issue there? Ok let's keep going...Actually let's take a step back...she's writing in for advice on this complicated situation that she can't possibly solve on her own. Really? She's completely lost on this one? And she asks if it's wrong to move but not if it's wrong to disparage people based on their weight. Seriously? Ok moving forward...here's the answer: get up and move. It's that simple. She's obviously uncomfortable so she move. Is it okay? Who cares? This isn't the biggest issue for this woman...even if she doesn't know it.

Anna said...

A guy will want to talk to her no matter who is sitting next to her.

If a guy asks one of the other women to move so he can sit next to the "pretty girl"- it's a sign that he has no regard for anyone but himself and what he wants and he's no good no matter HOW "cute" he is.

I would not view the two women as enemies or "c*ckblocking", but as a chance for some fun, witty, girl-talk conversation after a long day at work...most likely better than what she'd have from some guy she meets at a bar.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the plus-size ladies have a cute brother / friend / co-worker that she could be set up with. But she'd never know becuase, apparently, she has no interest in socializing with anyone larger than her own dress size. ~~ Erin

Lauren said...

My God. If you're that uncomfortable, move. I hope that's the biggest conundrum you have to face in life.

Single Girl said...

Does this woman happen to work for Psychology Today? Seriously! The size of those women has nothing to do with her ability to pull a guy. I am a big girl and getting a man to buy me a drink at a bar has NEVER been an issue even when I was sitting next to some skinny girl with a drinking problem. Next question please. -SG

Angie G. said...

Wowser.....I think that the real issue here is her judgment of others (the two women seated next to her) AND her belief that it is possible that somebody or something could ever stand in the way of her getting what she thinks that she wants. I will not address her need to write for advice on the subject....

Kristina said...

When did the stranger next to you at a bar start dictating who would or would not buy you a drink? I find the dilemma sincerely odd. Is this even a dilemma? Whether or not somebody buys me a drink has to do with me, my smile, my vibe (when I put on my glasses and pull out my book, I am clearly saying "leave me alone please")...and not who else is in the room, be they large or small, male or female. Again, I say - odd!

Ms Lupita said...

I am shocked that there is someone SO superficial and just plain ugly. I do not consider myself a "skinny" girl, I got me some curves and consider myself attractive. One of my best friends, who I go out with regularly, is a slightly big girl. That means NOTHING. When were out, there are times she gets the guys and other times I do. It not about who you are sitting next to, its simply about what a guy likes. And if he thinks you're cute or that the "fat" girl is cute, he will go up to her regardless of who she is sitting next to.