Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Bountiful 2011



Thanksgiving's coming.  It's my very favorite holiday.  I start calorie counting on November 1 just to make room for all the goodness I'm going to absorb at Thanksgiving dinner and the week of leftovers. Yum!

This year I'm hosting a very Spinsterlicious holiday that will begin on Wednesday evening and last through the weekend with my sister and a few fabulous girlfriends. I'm looking very forward to it.

2011 was a good year.  Here's a few of the many things I'm thankful for:


  • Another good year with Danny, the world's cutest dog.

  • Fresh Direct, my Thanksgiving partner, who makes it all possible (well, much of it).  Once I discovered them a few years ago, I've been hosting Thanksgiving dinner ever since.  They deliver a delicious, full Thanksgiving dinner.  All I gotta do is warm it up!  And my house smells amazing...like I've been cooking all day.

  • My friends.  They're great.  Good people.  Always there for me.  And they make me laugh.  

  • Oprah's Life Class.  At first it seemed corny to me, but I really like it and it always makes me think. 

  • Being let go from a job I didn't like.  It's such a relief not to have to go somewhere every single day that I didn't want to be.  This gave me the freedom to remember what I really should be doing, which is to be self employed...doing my own thing.  I had my own consumer research and strategy firm for 13 years, but put it on pause when the economy got weird.  I re-opened Golden Door Consulting and now get to revel in what I love most  (no boss, choosing projects I enjoy,  getting up when I feel like it, going to bed when I feel like it, having clients who respect my voice, the freedom to make my own hours…).  It's good.

  • Another year of good health.  I do not take this for granted.

  • Kale.  My latest go-to food.  There's rarely a time when I don't have something kale-y in my refrigerator:  braised kale, kale salad, sautéed kale and white beans, kale and chicken soup…  

  • Great vacation trips to Charleston, SC; Washington, DC; New Meadows, Idaho; Martha's Vineyard, MA.  For the first time in 15 years, I didn't leave the country for vacation.  I stayed closer to home so I could focus my time (really my $$) on my business. But next year...

  • A couple of short-term, harmless, fun relationships with guys I liked enough to spend a little time with, but not a lot.  Worked out just fine.

  • My "The Spinsterlicious Life" blog and all 58,000+ readers (and, especially you!)  This blog is way more interesting and fun than I ever thought it would be.  I've learned a lot and "met" some pretty interesting people…people I'd probably never have had the opportunity to come across without it.

  • And tied to this, the great response to The Spinsterlicious Life Shop  where I sell Spinsterlicious gear to like-minded women.  The t-shirts, mug, and canvas bag have been popular and remind me of the virtual feeling of sisterhood among women who are single and making it work (or at least trying to).  


Another great year.  And you?  What are you thankful for this year?


NOTE: If you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe "Via Email" in the box on the right. You'll receive an email when there's a new blog post.   Or "Like" Spinsterlicious on Facebook. Just click the button at the top of this page.   Or "Follow Me" on Twitter (button on the right).   Whatever you do, don't miss a Spinsterlicious update!   


Oh yeah.  And don't forget to visit  The Spinsterlicious Life SHOP!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful that I have a full life, my kids are grown and happy, I'm taking Zumba class and enjoying it (still able to dance and keep up with the other, younger students) and my blog. I love to write and my blog has given me the perfect venue to write and write volumes.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your friends. Your plans sound terrific!

Janine said...

Lovely post. We don't have Thanksgiving here - Australians tend to believe they live in "God's own" country so are always grateful... but it is worth reflecting on what we should be thankful for. I often wish we did have this holiday. I love nothing more than over-eating.

I am thankful that my gallbladder was removed this year, as my gallstones had started to roll (yes, I did call them the rolling stones). I was not thankful for the many invoices from the private hospital that turned up post-op.

I am thankful that there was one shining light after the scores of douches I dated and that he is still with me 2 months on, despite being 15 glorious years younger.

I am thankful for the idyllic six months I spent in the real "Godzone" - Tasmania - where I got away with working very little on the money I'd saved, and that my friend offered me the cheapest rent in inner Sydney upon my return, which now permits me to move in to a higher-priced flat on Sydney Harbour, which, I'm afraid, is more my style. I move in Saturday!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American spinsterlicious sisters! I am also deeply thankful for you.

mypixieblog said...

Thank you so very much for stopping by so I could see your amazing blog (I have added it to my favorites bar). I think it's awesome you were able to realize what it is you really love to do and have been able to build a successful brand on your own. You should feel SO INCREDIBLY proud of this accomplishment. It's something I'm hoping to do as well, but sometimes I feel stuck in this 9-5 and I worry too much of the risk and insecurity of breaking free. BUT I'm not entirely happy here either. Anyway, this is very inspiring and it's definitely something I need to give more thought to (since I know nothing ever happens overnight).

Hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving! :)

Stella said...

Geez but I'm glad we don't have Thanksgiving here. . .one less holiday to worry about.
But, in the spirit of the post- er thankful that I do live in Australia. Way cool country, though not sure that Janine has Tasmania right as the real Godzone- So bleeding cold.
Thankful for my health, opportunity to blog, a school that's happy to employ me on a part-time basis, Bikram yoga (I know, it's sick,isn't it) and that the fat ol' 13 year old is still with me. Just. And, of course, friends.
OK, feeling slightly less churlish now I've done some 'thanking'.
Happy Thanksgiving@

Stella said...

PS Er, the fat ol' 13 year old is my lovely ridgeback x dog. The one that has especially helped to take away the loneliness of being by myself again, and helped me to sleep soundly at night.

eleanore said...

@Stella: Glad you cleared that up about the "fat 13 year old"! And glad to see he's doing a good job. They're the best!

hc said...

By the way, Happy Birthday, fellow 'November-ian'!

hc said...

I'm glad I discovered your blog from stumbling upon your article about middle-aged bellies! It applies exactly to how I saw myself! Hope to keep reading...! Glad to find your site!

eleanore said...

@hc: I'm glad you found us, too. I hope you'll continue to participate