Friday, October 29, 2010

I Want You...But Maybe Not All The Time

This is one of my favorite cartoons.  It’s from The New Yorker, one of my favorite magazines.  I have it taped to my refrigerator.   It captures my sentiments exactly.


Guys don’t really like it, though.  My thinking is that when they see it they’ll relax because they know I won’t be trying to rush them into anything that’s more serious than they’re ready for.  Instead, they wonder what’s wrong with me.  Sometimes they take offense because, of course, I should want as much of them as I can get;  they take it as a pre-rejection.


 I just think the caption is funny…and so true…for me.  It reminds me of that joke when a guy tries to enter a store that says it’s “open 24 hours”, but it’s in the process of closing.  He says to the guy locking up, “I thought you were open 24 hours?”  The guys says, “we are…but not in a row”.  I love that.  Same thing, right?


So, am I weird for wanting him, but not wanting him around all the dang time? I (and the cartoonist) cannot be the only ones who feel this way.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No - you're not weird!!

Talking of cartoons, I noticed in the newspaper that today's Hagar cartoon is very relevant for a spinsterlicious life ;-)

Here's the links to both the page and the image ..... enjoy ;-)

http://www.arcamax.com/hagarthehorrible/s-791415-131975

http://www.arcamax.com/newspics/13/1336/133682.gif

PS - I found your blog after you posted a message on Bella DePaulo's blog today

:-) :-)

i0landa

eleanore said...

@i0landa: I love the cartoon! I thought about using it, but the prominently displayed "copyright" notice made me pause. Thanks for sharing it, though

Anonymous said...

Eleanore - since I can't find an email address I'll post this here

You might like to join this email community ..... it might be similar to a Spinsterlicious Life

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/footloosefemails/

eleanore said...

@Anonymous: Thanks for the referral. I just joined. Looks like we have a lot in common. Much appreciated!

Anonymous said...

No you are quite sane. I think it takes a "special" person to put up with the same person, day in and day out, being underfoot continually no matter how much you love them. I would walk into the house and say "You're still here huh".

Lin said...

Over twenty years ago, a lecture by Helen Fisher stuck in my mind. She was describing a cross-cultural anthropological study and related an encounter with one of the men of a contemporary hunting-gathering group. Their culture took the men away for hunting for a week or two at a time. When he was told that Western men and women see each other every day, he laughed and said "What do they talk about?"

It may be that it is in our nature to require both independence and connection in certain doses, the ratio probably differing person to person. It would be a rare--and for me--dissatisfying relationship where the one part or the other of the ratio were zero.