Friday, October 8, 2010

Forever Young...or Immature?

So, yes, I’m pretty pleased with my Spinsterlicious life...but maybe I’m a little nuts, too.  I dunno.  My friend, Lorraine, has an adorable son, AJ.   One day he asked his parents,  “Is Auntie Eleanore a grown-up?”  I loved it because I was sure he was implying, “she’s so youthful and cool and fun,  she couldn’t possibly be as old as you two are!”  (His parents are actually younger than me).  Alas, turns out he was saying something really different.   What he meant was “…because she doesn’t have a husband or any children”.   Uh-oh.  Even at 4 years old, he understood that I hadn’t done what I was supposed to.  (Sigh).


Fast forward a few years.  The New York Times Magazine recently ran an article "What Is It About Twenty-Somethings" by Robin Marantz Henig  (http://nyti.ms/cta9uH)  that talks about the traditional transition to adulthood as having five milestones:  completing school, leaving home, becoming financially independent, marrying, and having a child!  WTF!?  I’m stuck at stage three.  So AJ isn’t the only one who thinks I'm not a grown-up.  


I never really liked too much being told what to do and I find this  blurry, undefined existence to be freeing.  When you buck major traditions, there’s not a lot of rules you have to follow.  If you’re supposed to get married and have children, and you don’t…well, it’s kinda wide open. 

A guy I used to date who really wanted to get married used to complain that I lived like a college student.  What was it?  The lack of food in my refrigerator?  Not making my bed? No ironing board? Because I’m using the same pots I bought when I graduated from college?   He went on to marry and drive another woman crazy.    I, on the other hand, like this prolonged adolescence…especially since there’s no acne or curfew.   Maybe that’s what’s keeping me young.

So, now I’m wondering: what really makes a “grown-up”?

7 comments:

angie said...

Paying your own bills, doing your homework without someone threatening you and going to bed at 10:00 without being forced:).

shannon ah said...

sitting down at the dinner table with real plates and silverware and napkins. And eating a proper meal. Instead of standing in front of the fridge with the door open foraging for anything that isn't spoiled. Or moving.

Lin said...

Being responsible for your actions and yourself.

April said...

I also read that article in the NY Times about "20-somethings" and it made me feel like crap! And I'm in my 20s!!!

Shortly after, life was put back into perspective when I got a phone call from an old friend from college who's 28 and getting a divorce, God bless 'em. He's one of many I know who got married in their 20s, had a kid or two, and wind up miserable because they feel like they settled, or feel as though they rushed into certain life commitments pre-maturely.

Keep doing what you're doing Eleanore! I'd rather be happy and single, then married with kids and miserable for the sake of social conformity!

There's just WAY too much pressure to "have it all" these days....whatever that means.

And as for your question, I'm going to go with Lin's response, "Being responsible for your actions and yourself"

Love the blog!

Anonymous said...

Walking the dog by yourself, treating your mother and father to a fancy dinner, and putting somebody younger on your car insurance policy.

You write very well (then again, we knew that...)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad this is being discussed...it's something I've been thinking about.

What makes a person an "adult"? I don't believe having children makes a person an "adult" because so many parents are royal screwups and/or immature although it CAN mature you in ways you can't get not having kids.

I don't have kids...I am like you. I am a very responsible person. I pick up after my dogs, walk them twice a day, I am a good considerate citizen, I pay my bills, I am socially conscious (as much as possible), I am reliable and "show up" when I am asked to. I don't abuse my body with drugs or alchohol, I don't get in trouble with the law.

I agree with one poster it's being responsible for your actions and yourself.

Anonymous said...

Bella DePaulo at Living Single had a post where she took on that NYT article.

I think being grownup means not smacking people who tell you you're not grownup.

Christina