Monday, May 21, 2012

A Good Reason to Get Married (File Under "Catty Comment")






I seriously hate exercise.  All my life I've been waiting for that pill that would allow me to eat what I want, as often as I want, and sprawl on the couch as long as I want without gaining a pound or negatively impacting my health.  I think working out should be something I have to do only when I feel like it.  

For example, I used to run and I loved running.  Running is the only exercise I've ever enjoyed.  Anything else feels like work.  Then my knees stopped cooperating.  I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee a few years ago, and now my left knee seems to be demanding similar attention.

I refuse to go to the gym, so while I'm waiting for that "no more exercise" pill to be invented, I downloaded a few workout apps onto to my iPad.  I work out to them at home while I'm watching TV.  It's the closest I can get to doing nothing, without actually doing nothing.  The thing is, these apps provide a pretty good workout...if I set them to the highest level and for longer than 20 minutes. 

I was complaining about hating exercise the other day to a spinster friend and she was in full-on agreement with me.  She said, "Hating exercise is the only reason I can think of to get married.  Ever notice how women gain weight (I'm paraphrasing here) once they take on a husband?  I guess it's ok to 'give up' once you land him."  I laughed...even though I know it's not true.  Well, it's kinda true, but not true enough to be a truism. 

Unfortunately, I can think of too many women who did not gain the 'marital spread' ...but it's kind of amusing, anyway.  Plus, it didn't help that I knew she was talking about a particular married lady...the one who's married to her ex-.  This woman really did pack on the pounds soon after she got married and she used to be a fitness fanatic.  Go figure...


NOTE: The Spinsterlicious Life: 20 Life Lessons for Living Happily Single and Childfree-- has been published and is available here and  hereand on Amazon.

 And if you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe "Via Email" in the box on the right. You'll receive an email when there's a new blog post. Or "Like" Spinsterlicious on Facebook. Just click the button at the top of this page. Or "Follow Me" on Twitter (button on the right). Whatever you do, don't miss a Spinsterlicious update! 





4 comments:

Julia said...

I've also always hated exercise. Unfortunately, over the past, oh, 25 years I've added 2-3 pounds/year. (You do the math.) So...now I exercise. For the only really rational reason I can think of: my health.

Really liking the blog; glad I found it.

Janine said...

I'm with you on this one, but luckily, we have a plush and exclusive gym in the basement at work that looks like a 5-star wonderland of sparkling pools with big shiny columns and spas and things, set up by one of Australia's richest men as a lovenest for him and his mistress.

Anyway, I find if I combine the elliptical trainer (easy on the knees, and mine are as dodgy as yours) with the 6 o'clock news and whatever else is showing, time flies. I never really lose weight through this not-very-hardcore style of middle-aged training, but I do maintain my weight. That is, I'll never gain weight while I'm putting in my 2-3 sessions of the old elliptical per week.

lauren said...

I fractured my toe and had to give up yoga and "fixin" to do cardio for a few months. I'm to back to yoga but still fixin to do cardio. I found a way to walk past the people on the cardio machines w/o really seeing them, mat in hand. I've been married a while but still have to look in the mirror. And the idea of keeling over isn't fun. Hearing about how long somebody else worked out is annoying, too.

Anonymous said...

you should take care of your health that's why you must love exercise ... Find someone who loves it the way i do and you'll always be in a good shape
Free Webcam Dating