Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Love in Turks & Caicos

I spent last week on the beach in Turks & Caicos, a beautiful island in the Caribbean.  I was there for my friend, A's, wedding.  I happily turned it into my winter vacation.



I loved knowing that, while I lay at the pool in 80 degree weather, there was a little snow on the ground in New York City.



The beaches there are beautiful.  Each morning, my version of exercise was to take a long walk along the edge of the water.  One morning I slept in, then had a late breakfast with my friend, D, who came along at the last minute, so I didn't take my walk until the early evening.  It wasn't the smartest idea I had that day.  When I started out, the beach looked like this:



But, much too soon, it began to look like this; still beautiful, but  I found myself alone on a dark, deserted beach really quickly, still a mile or so away from the resort.  It was a little eerie and maybe even a bit unsafe.


As I quickened my pace, trying to get back before total darkness, I saw D ahead.  He had come to look for me!  I was so relieved.  I didn't even mind him yelling at me for not coming back before dark.  One of the locals later explained to me that the sun sets really quickly there and that it can go from bright to dark in a matter of minutes.  Good to know...


Weddings usually bore me.  To me, it's like watching the same play over and over, just with different actors.  This one didn't, though.  It was beautiful and a tremendous amount of fun.  There were about 40 people in attendance and, even though I didn't know many people, I feel like I made a few friends there.  And A looked amazing in her dress.  Check out the back:
 

Soon after they took their vows, she kicked off her shoes and the party began.  We ate and drank and danced for hours.  I went to bed exhausted.



The party concluded with fireworks.  (I love fireworks).


Later in the week, we took a trip into the town for dinner at a local restaurant.  Whenever I travel, I like to eat where the locals eat.  Resort food is fine, but it usually caters to tourists and I always wonder if it's authentic.  By going into the neighborhoods where the people who live there live, I feel like I'm getting a tad bit closer to the culture.  The Conch Shack did not disappoint.  I even brought back a doggy-bag and had conch and rice & beans for breakfast the next day.  Yum.


It was a great week: beautiful, relaxing, and a lot of fun.  What's the best wedding you've been to?




NOTE: Don't forget to visit The Spinsterlicious Life Shop. They make a statement... and a great gift! 




 And if you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe "Via Email" in the box on the right. You'll receive an email when there's a new blog post. Or "Like" Spinsterlicious on Facebook. Just click the button at the top of this page. Or "Follow Me" on Twitter (button on the right). Whatever you do, don't miss a Spinsterlicious update!

3 comments:

Annabelle said...

Oddly enough, I've never had a friend have a destination wedding. I have to say, though, that the tropics in February is the perfect way to do it! Sounds like it was lovely.

Aumoe said...

The best wedding I ever went to (besides my own Star Wars/costume party themed one which I'm obligated to like best) was my sister's best friend's wedding. It was a short ceremony and the reception was basically a bunch of nerds eating junk food and playing video games.

Jana said...

I love TCI and have been there twice. There is so much to see and do there that I don't think I would ever stay at an all inclusive there (not that there are many - two or three). So many good places to eat and everyone is so friendly. Glad you had a good time.