Friday, February 17, 2012

Dating Young. How Low Can You Go?


So Demi and Ashton are finished.  They hung in there for six years which is about 4 more than I thought they would.  She's 16 years older than he is.  I wish I had faith in these kinds of relationships, but I don't.  Not for marriage.  I think she should have kept him for a Boy Toy for a year or two and then let it go.  Marrying him made him think he was her equal…and he's not.  And, well, you see how he behaved once he got comfortable.

I'm all for dating younger men, but I think there should be a few rules.

For women, anybody more than 10 years younger should probably be considered a fling…even a longish fling, but still a fling.  Men and women are just too different.  I don't think guys do well, long-term, with a woman who's much older.  Of course, if you just want sex and some momentary fun then I don’t think there is such thing as “too young”.  Okay, I take that back;  I’m not Mary Kay Letourneau and I’m not trying to go to jail.  Re-stated:  if you just want sex and some momentary fun, than I think any age over 18 is fine.  Maybe 21…or whatever the legal age is in your state… just to be safe .

But it really has to just be sex and some momentary fun and that really should be all you want.  A grown woman cannot have a real relationship with a man half her age.  Hulk Hogan's ex-wife tried it.  She, in her 50s, dated and was even engaged to a  23-year-old. (He was 19 when they started dating). It didn't last. Celebrities don’t count, though, because they’re already not-like-us.

My rule, in general, has pretty much been 15 years on either end, i.e., 15 years older than me and 15 years younger, giving me a range of men with an age spread of 30 years. (Lots to pick from).   But you know what?  This rule has changed from time to time because it depends on how old I am.  When I was just a young thing, I sometimes went out with guys much, much older:  me, 26; him, 60.  (I know).   I couldn’t have gone 15 years younger because I’d then be writing this from my prison cell.

Now the reverse is true.  I’m still willing to go 15 years younger, but really only 5-8 years older.  A man who’s more than 10 years older than me is kinda old.   And I don’t apologize for that; guys are very open about preferring someone younger…and so am I!

If you want a serious relationship and really want him to be your man, and you’re a woman-of-a-certain age, I think anybody more than 10 years younger than you are could be tricky.  Y’all should at least both remember the original version of the same song; if you remember Diana Ross singing I’m Coming Out, and he only remembers Biggie and Puffy’s version that was sampled in Mo’ Money Mo’ Problems…then I think you could have a problem.  It's good to have the same cultural references.

Here are a few things to think about.  Even though he’s younger, he should be old enough to:

  • Have some of the same cultural reference points without you always having to explain
  • Have worked long enough to have a career, not just a job.  You should not be taking care of him, financially.  He needs to have his own money
  • Have real, hard-bottomed shoes in his wardrobe, not just sneakers
  • Understand that he can only go to the club every now and than…unless he’s a DJ
  •  Wear a belt with his pants
  • Refuse regular motherly advice from you (“shouldn’t you be wearing a sweater, dear”).  If you’re doing that, stop it and find someone old enough to know if he needs a sweater.


Ideally, he has friends in a wide age range so you don't always look/feel like the chaperone when you're out with his friends.

If he's divorced and/or has a kid, I think that's a plus.  That way he has a little more experience at a grown-up relationship...maybe.

One summer day while walking my dog in a nearby park, I was approached by a young guy.  It was clear that he was super young (of legal age, though), but he was also a real cutie and I was in a good mood.  We chatted a bit, he played with my dog, and then bought me a drink at the nearby concession stand.  I thought it was all rather fun and amusing...until he compared one of my comments to a similar reference by his mother (who, I quickly learned, was actually younger than me!)   Note to young guys trying to pick up older women: keep your mom out of it.

Dating younger men can make you feel young and put a definite bounce in your step (and let’s not forget the s-e-x), but be reasonable.  If you want him to stick around for a long time, choose wisely:  the image of him pushing you in your wheelchair just isn’t attractive.

Did I miss anything?  How do you know if he’s too young?


NOTE: Don't forget to visit The Spinsterlicious Life Shop. They make a statement... and a great gift! 




 And if you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe "Via Email" in the box on the right. You'll receive an email when there's a new blog post. Or "Like" Spinsterlicious on Facebook. Just click the button at the top of this page. Or "Follow Me" on Twitter (button on the right). Whatever you do, don't miss a Spinsterlicious update!

7 comments:

Missy June said...

How funny! Just last weekend I was approached by what I called a "baby face" who was at least 15 years my junior. Honestly, it cracked me up!

I guess I'm glad to be noticed, but I couldn't think of anything we would have in common and I had no interest to even get to know the young man.

It did make a fun story, though, and served me well to create a bit of competition for my more appropriately aged steady man. He laughed at my tales from the club trenches!

rhinovodka said...

I think there are a few exceptions to this "thought". For example, Juliet Mills & Maxwell Caulfield have been married for over 30 years & Juliet is 18 years older than Maxwell, so whatever they are doing it is working for them. Age differences are really on an indivdual basis, what works for one, may not work for another.

I always said I would never date anyone more than ten years younger than me but I have had to eat my words, as I am currently dating a 24 year old (I am 37). I have no illusions that this will be long term and there are challenges no doubt. Even if this doesn't last, I think we will always be friends. My experience thus far, has been fairly positive and quite a learning experience.

Janine said...

I've confessed it on these pages before, but my most recent relationship was with a guy 15 years younger. It didn't have a long life expectancy, and it didn't last long - 4 months, and we're still both in my apartment until he finds a flatshare.

Overall, it wasn't too healthy - he wasn't a fully fledged grown-up (neither am I, clearly!) and I did find myself "mothering" him in the basics, like ways to wash so as not to destroy one's clothes, preparing meals other than spaghetti and Chicken Tonight (both of which comprise the meat and jar of sauce only). He is too scared to drive so I had to cop all the responsibility and expense of carshares. I have to repeatedly ask for him to pay his share of anything, despite the fact he earns more than I do. As we speak, he is sailing on Sydney Harbour at my expense. Yes, I liked to buy him things, which would be fine if I was a dude on a six-figure salary.

We had little in common, however in our case it was more down to his geekiness - he didn't party, but he'd stay up several hours coding, for kicks. I'm sorry, but that's weird at any age. We also had wildly different senses of humour - a biggie in my case, as it's all I'm about. You don't get my sense of humour, you don't get me.

Do I regret it? Definitely not. When we were intimate, before he moved in with me and it all got a little too real for him, I felt like a teenager again, and hormones came to life that I'd thought were long extinct. I totally understood why men chase much younger girls, however because I'm a woman, the experience of dating him was always marred by insecurity and self-consciousness. This doesn't occur for men. They can just spend the rest of their life high-fiving their mates that their wife is 30 years younger and live happily ever after. I resent the hell out of them for that.

I do believe age-gaps in our favour can work, as it's all down to individuals, although I do think you're wise not to expect longevity. But I agree, sky's the limit if we're talking lovers, and it's easier than ever to get younger lovers on the internet if you know where to look. Those younger lovers are a memory for me to cherish, and they boosted my ego at a time when a series of fat, middle-aged jaded douchebags had treated me like the scum off the bottom of their shoe. If you do take younger lovers, you just have to shake off the insecurities as best you can and just have fun. I fully endorse the age-gap. Would Madonna go for second best? :)

Anonymous said...

I had a "boy toy" for sex only for two years I was 48 when it started and he was 31. He had just broke up with his girlfriend and I was separated from my husband so the situation worked for us. He would call or send me a text message if I was busy I would say either yes or no and he was on his way. We had some of the BEST mind blowing sex I have had EVER !!! then his job was transfered to another city and he moved with it so no more boy toy !! I have tried to search for another one however the younger men today just do not have respect, manners and they lack common sense and courtesy. So I just gave up I would rather be alone rather than listen to someone tell me how they "messed up on life " and if they could do it all over again they would do this and that... OMG !!!

mirletaliz said...

I personally have never really been interested in younger men. I like my men older, typically more mature and sometimes at least closer to my mental/emotional/intellectual maturity levels. Recently, though, I was pursued by a guy about 10 years younger than me. (I'm 36 for the record.) And while we spent a little time together twice, it was obvious that he was too damn young and that his maturity level was even younger. He still lived at home, his mama still cooked for him, his parents still paid some of his bills and there was just an increasing list of "red flags" that were turn-offs for me...and oh!, did I mention he was a high maintenance pretty boy too?!?! So not me, so I promptly broke it off.

My most significant relationship was with a man who is 13 years older than me. He is pursing me again...after he dealt with his own issues. Although there were issues with our past relationship times, my relationship with him was decent and, at the very least, we had a lot of similar cultural references, he physically does not look or act his age (people think he's much closer in age to me) and he physically, emotionally and intellectually is attractive to me. We can converse for hours on any number of topics...even if we don't always agree. And for me, that's much more important than the sex...not that that is an issue with him...by any means!

All the way around older men work for me better. My age range is generally 10-15 years older than I (depending on how old I am and how old they LOOK and ACT) and 5 years younger...but I almost always go older. Heck, guys my age typically get on my nerves QUICKLY, why the heck would I wanna deal with younger!?!? Younger guys definitely have to prove themselves to me and have to "come correct" to even get a slight consideration.

That's just me though, to each his or her own, right?

Jana said...

My rule for dating is +/- 5 years. Honestly I usually date younger men. Any more than 5 years younger and I totally agree with you, you have not much in common other than sex. Feeling like you need to mother them is not sexy.
As for you Janine, he's only using you. He's sailing on your dime and he makes MORE money than you do? He should be paying his share and then some. Throw him out! That he has no where to live should not be your problem - obviously he can afford it!

Anonymous said...

After a lifetime of nothing but dating failure, I had the love-at-first-sight thing happen, and I married last year at age 51. My husband was 36, so we have a 15 year age gap. It doesn't matter to us in the least. The only difference is we watched different tv shows growing up, and he doesn't really remember life before answering machines.