Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Well, If You Must Date Online, At Least Be Safe

A few months ago, I wrote a post about Why I'm Done With Online Dating. There just came a time when the nice, interesting guys were in lower supply than the weirdos and the half-truths.

But I have a lot of friends and readers who do still do online dating, so when I received this note from AVG Technologies about how to date online safely, I decided to run it.

Valentine’s Day is coming soon and I know that traffic on online sites often jumps around this time, as unattached people are reminded that they don't have a Valentine's Day date. Online dating sites can be a great good way to meet new people, but as always in the world of online dating - there are guidelines that can help attract the right people, as well as precautions that you should consider so that things don't get funky.




I don't want to scare anybody, but it certainly can't hurt to be smart(er) about getting together with --what are essentially-- strangers. In order to eliminate the guesswork and leave more time for first impressions, the online safety experts at AVG Technologies have assembled a list of easy DOs and DON’Ts for any online-dater:

DON’T forget that despite how charming an individual may appear in self-descriptions and direct messages, he or she is still a stranger. Never give out any identifiable information that could allow someone to track your whereabouts like a home address or work telephone.

DO take the time to do your research. A few Google searches doesn’t make you a stalker, and can be helpful in identifying some red flags that you’d rather not discover in person.

DON’T be afraid to share your social media presence with potential dates. Sites like Facebook and Twitter work to paint a more accurate picture of your overall personality. Sharing this content early-on can make for a more comfortable experience overall. Also, be cautious of those that don’t appear elsewhere online. (C’mon its 2012).

DO make a plan. If you are going to meet in-person with someone that you’ve connected with online, make sure it is in a public place that you are familiar with. Consider telling a friend who can help if you need an easy-out. “Oh, hey favorite sister! What do you mean your car just broke down and you need my help?”

DON’T move too quickly. Even if the chemistry is right and there appears to be a connection, don’t forget that you’ve just met this person. Take the time to completely get to know someone before loaning money, inviting into your home, introducing your kids or opening a joint checking account.

Remember, always trust your instinct. If a person appears too good to be true, or gives you a bad feeling then back off! (You can connect with AVG on Facebook for more tips on keeping safe while online.)

I haven't had any dangerous encounters as a result of online dating...although I almost created one: it was the married man who asked me for a loan :-). Anyway, date away...be smart...be safe...have fun!



NOTE: Don't forget to visit The Spinsterlicious Life Shop. They make a statement... and a great gift!

And if you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe "Via Email" in the box on the right. You'll receive an email when there's a new blog post. Or "Like" Spinsterlicious on Facebook. Just click the button at the top of this page. Or "Follow Me" on Twitter (button on the right). Whatever you do, don't miss a Spinsterlicious update!








- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

9 comments:

Janine said...

All very sound advice - I know because I times I haven't followed it and have definitely paid the price for those poor decisions. Can I also add (from personal experience), try to go easy on the booze on dates and watch your date if he fetches you drinks. Too much booze leads to poor decisions.

nurselady said...

I agree about to much booze! Don't want to do anything that will let your guard down. I have found that with alittle pre planning it is not hard to remain anonymous... in fact I have a separate cell phone, other then work phone that I give out... with first name only on it!

k said...

i always take note of the time stamps on a man's email. i don't trust anybody who only responds during the day or who doesn't respond on the weekends or at night. he's got something already going on at home!!

i also steer clear of men who want to endlessly email/text back and forth. if it doesn't move to a phone conversation or coffee within a few exchanges, then he's just looking for a little diversion.

eleanore said...

@Janine: Yep, the "too much alcohol" thing is an important one

rate my body said...

Thanks very much for this awesome blog post; this is the kind of thing that keeps me going through the day. I’ve been searching around for this site after I heard about them from a buddy and was thrilled when I was able to find it after searching for some time. Being an avid blogger, I’m pleased to see others taking initiative and contributing to the community. I just wanted to comment to show my appreciation for your work as it’s very encouraging, and many bloggers do not get the credit they deserve. I’m sure I’ll be back and will send some of my friends.

eleanore said...

@rate my body: So glad you found us. I look forward to more comments from you and your friends!

The Importance of Compatibility in Online Dating said...

We all want to talk to our soulmates, to tell or write them some nice lovely words. But sometimes we can make mistakes that can be harmful for both. Read and see how write and not make a mistake.

friendsreunited co uk said...

I'm a foremost advocate against online dating a few years back but to say that I found my partner now online would be the irony. Once you find somebody interesting online, the first thing you should do is meet that person face-to-face. Then take it from there. Never, as in NEVER try and build a special relationship on cyberspace. That is just the tip of the iceberg there.

Rosemary said...

This is true. "If You Must Date Online, At Least Be Safe". Not all people online are scammers, spammers or whatever, they are also a humans but be careful and make sure that you will be safe before meeting them in person. Take a read about the review of this dating site at plentyoffish.com. I hope it would help.