Friday, March 25, 2011

My Encounter with Hugh Jackman

This past Saturday was a glorious day; the first sunny Saturday we've had in NYC after an unusually cold and snowy winter.  It was a perfect day for a bike ride along the Hudson river with my friends Kim and Amy.  

We had fun riding among all the folks out enjoying the day: runners, other bikers, roller bladers, people out for a stroll...and that one little boy who totally changed my day.

I saw him out of the corner of my eye and I couldn't believe what was happening.  As only a little boy can do, he took off running in the opposite direction from which he faced, not looking...just running.  Just as he reached me, I slammed on the brakes.  Two bad moves.  I went flying, the bike somersaulted over me.  I hit the ground HARD and my bike landed on top of me.  I was stunned.  I lay there for a minute to collect myself.  My friends helped me sit up.  I really was seeing those proverbial stars.  Then I saw a single star (cheap pun). He asked me if I was okay.   Hugh Jackman. The little boy --who apologized profusely-- was with Hugh and his son. 

When I noticed people taking pictures I thought to myself "omg, I must really be hurt".  It took me a minute to realize that it wasn't my picture they wanted.  Hugh couldn't have been nicer.  He hung around until he was sure I was okay...hence the picture with him which, in his own words, "was the least he could do".


Here's what I learned from this bike accident:

  • You just never know...
  • What it feels like to ache e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e, and with a headache that lasts 24+ hours
  •  It's true what they say about time slowing down. As I was flying and falling, it felt like I was watching it in slow motion.  A very weird sensation.
  • The world's cutest Yorkie may have already had his last bike ride. Like a crazy dog lady, I sometimes ride my bike with my dog in a knapsack on my back.  He loves it.  I didn't have him with me that day and I shudder to think how he would have fared in the accident.  
  •  Wear the damn bike helmut all the time.  Really.  All the time.  I was so unbelievably lucky that day.  While I always wear my helmet when riding in traffic, I'm a lot less diligent when riding along the bike path because "what could happen"?  Well, now I know what can happen and if I hadn't been wearing my helmet when I crashed to the ground, this story probably would have had a much different outcome.
  • Wear lipstick at all times because you never know when you'll have your picture taken.

So as I spent most of my Sunday resting from what I'm told is probably a mild concussion, I was struck by how many of my friends were more impressed with my photo with Hugh Jackman than they were that I somersaulted over my bike and didn't break anything in the fall.


NOTE:  If you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe in the box on the right -or- if you have a Google Account, you can click on "Follow Me" also on the right, near the bottom.   You'll receive an email each time there's an update to the blog.  Don't miss a Spinsterlicious update!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you didn't injure yourself permanently - like a broken leg! Hope you're back to normal now.

By the way - did Hugh speak with an Aussie accent?! ;-0

i01anda

eleanore said...

@iolanda: Thanks so much. Hugh was a doll: Aussie accent and all!

SYGuy said...

Great story! So well told. And I agree with the lipstick advice! Will Hugh be visiting you during your recovery?!

Rhona said...

I did read he was nice so plus for you. And, he is so good lucking. Glad you wore that helmet!

AllegrinaF said...

Oh my goodness, I am so jealous, Hugh Jackson is a god. This would have so made my day even if the meeting was a little undignified!