Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Wigging It...For When I Need Backup


When it comes to looks, my stance has always been, “I gotta work with what God gave me.”  (Unspoken was, “and you should, too,” as I looked somewhat askance at women with fake boobs and bad hair weaves.) But when I hated all my photos from a fancy party I attended recently, I acknowledged that what God had given me had really gotten on my nerves. A seriously bad hair day had me looking like a scarecrow in every picture. I was not happy about that.

A few days later, I agreed to go with a friend-who-won't-let-me-use-her-name to get her wig. She's always been very clear that she wanted lots more hair than she could grow and was very comfortable augmenting it with the store-bought variety. I tagged along because I thought it would be fun. We could catch up, and—an added plus—I could save her from going overboard with her new hair. As I watched and waited, I remembered how my own hair had come up short a time or two.

Well, whaddya know. Long story short, I, too, now have new hair.

Yep, I bought a wig. Not for everyday use, but for those days when my own hair acts like it has a mind of its own.

Here's what my own hair looks like on a good day.  It's a little unruly, but I like it. It's natural, not perfectly coiffed. It fits my personality.




But too often, it looks like this. I know I can look better than this... I just don't always know when.








It's true that when I don't know my hair looks bad, I can have a grand time. It's only when I see the photos later that I get annoyed. But when I'm out and I know my hair doesn't look good, it can make the event less fun. Not that the event itself is less fun, but I'm self-conscious. And that's certainly not fun. So I'm taking control.


Hadiiya Barbel, the woman who did our wigs --which she calls "crowns"-- is a “wigstress to the stars,” so to speak—my words, not hers. She does them for celebrities and models and video vixens, making them larger than life in both styling and spirit. I got all caught up in the excitement. My new hair wasn't as dramatic as most of her styles, but it was very dramatic for me. When I left her salon with my new hair, I didn't just leave—I danced away. I felt transformed. It was very exciting.






I was almost “ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille.” I wore my new hair out to dinner with friends that night, and sashayed into the restaurant. It wasn't until later, when I glimpsed myself in the mirror, that I thought, “Hmmm.”

Maybe it was a bit too much. I started to think that I looked like I was waiting for someone to hand me a microphone. Like I was about to go onstage. Like I was screaming, “Hey, look at me.” And that's not me.  

Wouldn't you know it, here I was, self-conscious about my hair again. On the way home, a drag queen in full regalia complimented me on my hair—confirming what I was starting to think: it's too much.

So I went back, and Hadiya gave me a bit of a trim. One that’s more to my liking. Feels a lot more like me. And that's what I want: to look and feel like me...not like me playing dress-up.





So now, when my own hair—the hair that God gave me—doesn't want to cooperate, I’ve got back-up. Here I come!

What about you?  What do you guys do when your own, natural-born "stuff"  doesn't cooperate?


NOTE: Don't forget to visit The Spinsterlicious Life Shop. They make a statement... and a great gift for a Spinsterlicious babe you know! 


 And if you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe "Via Email" in the box on the right. You'll receive an email when there's a new blog post. Or "Like" Spinsterlicious on Facebook. Just click the button at the top of this page. Or "Follow Me" on Twitter (button on the right). Whatever you do, don't miss a Spinsterlicious update!

10 comments:

Michael Ann said...

Well, good for you! That last photo looks great and you still look like YOU. I think people should do what makes them feel good. I wouldn't do a lot of stuff and I think the fake looking woman in Hollywood are a good example of what NOT to do. But if i could afford a tummy tuck for a little loose skin from having babies, i would do it!

D C Cain said...

The last photo is fabulous. Looks very natural. (Although I must admit I also like the one with the "bad hair day".) I was natural for many years, and I now wish I would have added a little hair for those bad hair days. I miss running my fingers through my natural hair...and I just miss my natural hair half the time.

One day, in a fit of frustration at how my hair turned on me on one hot and humid Houston day, I came home and permed my hair after years of being natural. Some days I don't regret it, but now that I see IT'S OK TO ADD SOME HAIR, I have my regrets.

Janine said...

That's why they call it your 'crowning glory'. Hair really makes a difference, no denying it, and I can truly relate to that kind of dissatisfaction. I am deeply envious of anyone with natural curls or big hair (like yours).
Since we're in the confession booth here, I've always disliked my messy Celtic kinks and humidity-friz. About 5 years back I decided to get glam like the celebrities, and get extensions. They were offering discounts at my local African salon, one which I'm sure serves African ladies very well. They weaved in these long, lush, dark brown pieces, and suddenly I felt like Beyonce, like I hadn't felt in years. I noticed men admiring me in the street - I even had one chat me up in a 7-11.
I had a date with a naval officer that night and was feeling so much like sex-on-legs that the 2nd date was at his place. It was then that the whole FREAKING DISASTER started to unravel, and by the time I left the naval officer's abode I looked more like Medusa than Beyonce. It was mortifying and when sailor boy inevitably didn't call me back, and I inevitably let my displeasure known to him, he emailed back and ended with something like "BTW, that hair smells weird."
Over the next few days, the extensions turned into dreadlocks, and I transformed from sex bomb into street bum. Needless to say, that was not $400 well spent, plus the extra to get it unwoven, an experience that feels something like - well, having all your hair yanked out.
These days, I settle for mousse and volumiser. Amazing what a difference it makes.
The weird thing is, sometimes - just sometimes - I feel like the whole shameful experience was worth it just to have "one last hurrah", to feel those admiring eyes on me just one last time before I settle into the 'invisible years'. But a wig is a far better solution - and far less painful!

eleanore said...

@Janine: Love your story! A real cautionary tale. Thx for sharing it.

shelley said...

I love your natural hair El. Your new hair adds a pleasant change to your look. @Janine, I loved your story.

Nandi Osaze said...

I love the wig. I have sister locks but when I feel like looking a little different I just pop on a wig. I don't even mind much if people know its not a permanent change. I finally have the below shoulder length hair I've wanted since I was a little girl but even I need a change now and then. Who says a girl can't have it all!

Stella said...

You have cool hair even on a bad hair day. I have very fine, very straight, and now with lotsa grey, very limp hair. In my next life I have put in a request for CURLY hair.
To cope with my natural hair I dye it blonde - the grey blends in beautifully as it grows out- and looks like more blonde. Yay!

Denise;-) said...

OMG!!! We women and our hair. We are hilarious! I have what people call "good hair' but as my Momma says 'What's it good for?' and at the young age of 81 her good hair goes down her back. As for me I love my salt and pepper hair. I am proud of and have earned every gray strand. My only problem is I wish the gray would cooperate with the rest of my hair. My Sista's if it looks good on you 'Just do it' but please maintain it. Unclean and unkept hair is nasty I don't care if it's real or a weave.

Hilarity in Shoes said...

I asked my hair guy for hair like Oprah once, back when she had that really big hair, and he looked at me like I was an idiot and explained wigs and extensions to me. Learn something new every day.

Now my times I feel extra fabulous are when I take the time to straighten my crazy curly hair. I get compliments every time, and swear I'll do it every day...and then I sleep in.

eleanore said...

Thanks, everybody. My new hair has taken a little getting used to because wearing a wig is do different for me. But I think I'm going to like it. I wore it out New Year's Eve and liked the way it looked (and felt). Yay!