Friday, December 30, 2011

25 Things: 2011 Year in Review


A number of blogs are posting the answers to this "25 Things" questionnaire and linking to each other.      Hilarity in Shoes is one of them.  It's kinda fun to read others' responses.  Here's mine...which I think, alas, may be a little dull.  I'm hoping it's dull because I have a lousy memory, and not because I became boring this year.  Anyway, here we go:



1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
I did a radio interview about my blog (with Joseph C. Phillips, sitting in for Larry Elder on his KABC show).  It was a new experience so I was a little nervous.  I was very conscious of how many bad tv and radio interviews I see/hear and I didn't want to be one of them.  I wasn't.  It actually was pretty easy…and fun.  (I'm hoping he'll have me back on when my book comes out this spring.)


2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? 
I don't  really make New Year's resolutions, though I usually re-evaluate my year/life each year on my birthday, which is in November…so I guess that's kinda like New Year's resolutions.  On my birthday this year, I resolved to do two things:  one interesting and exciting, the other trite and uninteresting:  (1) Self-publish my book (The Spinsterlicious Life), and (2) lose the 10 extra pounds I've managed to tack on.  Maybe even 15 so I have some wiggle room.  


3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
We welcomed Anna Sofia (Traci and Tony) and Mae Ling (Michelle and Kris) to the world this year.  Very exciting.


4. Did anyone close to you die?
I am fortunate that no one close to me died in 2011.   I was, however, saddened by the deaths of Patrice O'Neal, Amy Winehouse, Steve Jobs, Eleanor Mondale, Clarence Clemons -- people I didn't know personally, but admired for their talents.


5. What countries did you visit?
2011 was the first time in about 15 years that I did not leave the U.S.  I expect to be "back on track" in 2012.  Heading to Turks & Caicos in February…and who know where else as the year progresses?  I'm due for a visit to my friend, Lucy, in London  so maybe that'll be on the list.


6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
I re-opened my consumer research and strategy company in 2011 and business is good though not quite as strong as it was before the recession.  So, in 2012 I want to have a lot more money than I did in 2011.


7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Osama bin Laden was killed on May 2, 2011.  I  jumped for joy.


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Re-starting my business…


9. What was your biggest failure?
No big failure…though I wish I had managed my business start-up costs differently.


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

My health is good...although a couple of weeks ago I was diagnosed with hypertension. Pissed me off.  It runs in my family, but I thought I could avoid it with my healthy diet and being pretty fit.  No such luck.  (sigh)


11. What was the best thing you bought?
I bought some fab boots.  Look…


12. Where did most of your money go?
Most of my money went to re-building my biz...and eating good food at great restaurants.


13. What did you get really excited about?
My decision to self-publish my book
A Martha's Vineyard vacation with a group of friends
Anna Sofia's birth


14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Rolling in the Deep, by Adele
SuperBass, by Nicki Minaj


15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
Happier or sadder?
 Neither.  I'm good…same as last year
Thinner or fatter? About 10 pounds fatter.  Working on correcting that
Richer or poorer? Financially poorer.  Being self-employed is creating serious cash-flow issues right now
.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Worked out more.  (I will say this for the rest of my life)
Traveled more


17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
I probably could have eaten out less (and put that $ toward my biz)


18. How did you spend Christmas?
I spent Christmas with my family in Washington, DC…same as every year


19. What was your favorite TV program?
The Office.  Treme.  Enlightened.


20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Book fail, here.  Didn't read anything I loved.


21. What was your favorite music from this year?
Anything with a good beat:  Adele, Nicki Minaj, Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars


22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Company Men was probably my favorite film this year


23. What did you do on your birthday?
A vineyard tour on Long Island's North Fork


24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A more robust business, a grand love affair, an international trip.


25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
I lean toward the simple and casual.  Shoes make the difference.

So that's mine.  Everybody:  please pick 1-2 questions to answer and post it in the Comment section.
NOTE: Don't forget to visit The Spinsterlicious Life Shop. They make a statement... and a great gift! 
 And if you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe "Via Email" in the box on the right. You'll receive an email when there's a new blog post. Or "Like" Spinsterlicious on Facebook. Just click the button at the top of this page. Or "Follow Me" on Twitter (button on the right). Whatever you do, don't miss a Spinsterlicious update!

7 comments:

D C Cain said...

Happy New Year!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Stopped smoking!!

13. What did you get really excited about?

(Similar to yours. :-)) After 4 years and repeated calls from my agent, I finally finished my book. TODAY.

17. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Eat bread!

19. What was your favorite TV program?

Alphas. Matlock. Without a Trace. Criminal Minds (although it was a disappointment this year).

JustJ said...

7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched in your memory and why? 6-6-11 My son graduated from High School 7-28-11 I left my ex husband this time for good to start my life over again !!! 8-24-11 my son started college 10-31-11 my son QUIT college to live with his girlfriend 12-27-11 my son told me his girlfriend is pregnant with my grandchild .... AND she wants an abortion.

17. What do you wish you'd done less of?

Eat candy, pie, and sweets. I have gained about 25 or 30 lbs this past month alone!! and I was doing so good this whole year. I had lost 60 lbs during the summer alone so I know it can be done. I don't know what happened!!

19. What is your favorite TV program?

One Life to Live and everyone and their dog knows where it's going.

RIP OLTL it was fantastic while it lasted !!!

T. Thema Martin said...

My 22 and 24 are the same as yours.

eleanore said...

@Smokie: Special congrats on #8. Now you're going to have to change your username!

eleanore said...

@JustJ: You had quite a year, per #7. Good luck with everything. Let us know how it goes

eleanore said...

@Smokie: Special congrats on #8. Now you're going to have to change your username!

Ann said...

5. Countries visited - Mexico, France, England, Grenada, Italy

11. Best thing I bought - beautiful leather bag in Florence

12. Favorite book - The Warmth of Other Suns - Isabel Wilkerson. It's huge... download it onto your e-reader

Have a great 2012!