Friday, December 16, 2011

When Is A Gift Not A Gift?


Gift.  noun.  1. something given voluntarily without payment in return, as to show favor toward someone, honor an occasion, or make a gesture of assistance; present.  Dictionary.com



I had a conversation this week with my friend --let's call her Cheryl-- about gift-giving, during the holidays and all the other gift-giving "opportunities".  I was in the middle of wrapping my Christmas gifts and mentioned that I have begun to exchange gifts with fewer and fewer people.  Really, I don't need another thingy.  What I've started to suggest is that we get together, treat each other to food and drink…or something else we both like to do, and just enjoy each other's company.  That's what I really want for Christmas (and usually my birthday, too).


Then Cheryl told me a story about how she feels slighted by a friend to whom she has given many gifts, though has received few (or none, depending on how you look at it) in return.  Cheryl says that, over the years, she has given Friend and her family a number of gifts…8 to be exact.  Birthday gifts to Friend and hubby, birthday and Bar/Bat Mitzvah gifts to the kids, housewarming gifts to the whole family and on and on.  When Cheryl had her housewarming, Friend brought her a homemade cake.  It's a touching and personal gift, in a way.  But was she being chintzy?  Probably, but I really don't know. Maybe she couldn't afford to do better. At any rate, Cheryl certainly didn't appreciate it. She expected more.

I don't always feel compelled to give a gift just because it's an occasion where a gift is expected.  In some ways,  I'm not sure Cheryl should have given them all those gifts in the first place.   To me, gifts should come from the heart and once you start keeping track of who-gave-what-to-who then it doesn't seem so heartfelt.  Many people give gifts because they're expected.  I sometimes don't. I kind of decide on a case-by-case basis.  Once a gift starts to feel obligatory, it feels less like a gift to me and more like a payment…or ransom.

I have a friend (actually two), who over the years, would regularly complain about gifts given to her: "not enough thought went into it", "I don't like it", "it's cheap"…blah blah.  I came to dread exchanging gifts with her.  Anxiety over whether it was "good enough" made shopping for her stressful, not fun.  And so what's the point there?


Cheryl pointed out that, as a single, child-free woman, I get the short end of the gift-stick.  Engagement gifts, wedding gifts, baby gifts, all kinds of gifts for the kids are given, but I'm limited to receiving gifts for Xmas and birthday.  But Cheryl is married and still got short-shrift.  It probably doesn't help that she doesn't have kids.  We laughed about an episode from Sex And The City where Carrie had a similar thought:

“Think about it. If you are single, after graduation there isn’t one occasion where people celebrate you … Hallmark doesn’t make a “congratulations, you didn’t marry the wrong guy” card. And where’s the flatware for going on vacation alone?"  

I always give a wedding gift if I attend the wedding.  If I don't attend, I may or may not give a gift.  Only on occasion do I give birthday and Christmas gifts to children.  I love lots of the kids in my life, but they get so much during these times that I'm not sure the gift means much to them…or that they even remember what I gave them.  I'm sure some of the parents think that's a little sloppy of me, but whatever.  I'm much more forthcoming with gifts for an accomplishment, like graduation.

I don't exchange a ton of Christmas gifts, but I do make sure to spend time with the people who matter to me. That feels better to me than another tchochke…especially if we don't really know what the other one wants.


I give baby gifts most of the time…but not always.  I give birthday gifts some of the time, but not always.  Here, I'd rather take you out to dinner and enjoy your company.    No angst about the wrong gift. Same amount of money (usually more), but a win-win for everyone.

I once broke up with a guy who gave me a television for Christmas, then demanded that I buy SurroundSound speakers to augment it. Except I don't really need SurroundSound. What kind of gift is that, that I have to spend more money on?  Really, it felt more like a gift for him that he could enjoy at my place.  The argument spiraled out of control after that.

Gift-giving and receiving can be rather emotional, I guess, and is certainly laden with all kinds of other expectations that don't really help the situation.  Once the recipient starts weighing the "value" of the gift, it loses all meaning in my opinion.

And, once my stepmother gave me a set of ashtrays.  I've never allowed smoking in my house.  'nuff said.

Anyway, I'm dying to hear your "oh Lord, I gotta buy a gift" stories.  Or, if you're a gift-complainer, I'd like to hear more about that, too.



NOTE: Don't forget to visit The Spinsterlicious Life Shop. They make a statement... and a great gift! (This is a gift she really does want!)




 And if you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe "Via Email" in the box on the right. You'll receive an email when there's a new blog post. Or "Like" Spinsterlicious on Facebook. Just click the button at the top of this page. Or "Follow Me" on Twitter (button on the right). Whatever you do, don't miss a Spinsterlicious update!

8 comments:

Darlene said...

I have found that gift giving has become stressful for me as well. I have a problem with this "entitlement attitude" that some people give regarding receiving gifts. A gift is an expression of love, acknowledgement, celebration or charity. A gift should never be expected in my opinion, however always appreciated. Adults should teach their children just what I previously stated. Having adults or children turn up their noses at what you've given them is appalling to me. Even if you do not care for a thing given to you, you should appreciate it and express gratitude to the giver and not go on to someone about how horrible it is. I have fallen for this whole unappreciative thing and started to give money and gift cards for the holidays and even then, you still have those who feel that those gifts are impersonal!! What can you do? I know give when you want to give and not feel obligated! Good blog!

Michael Ann said...

Darlene had a good way of saying it, the "entitlement attitude." I feel the same and could really identify with your post. I really, really have struggled with the whole gift-giving thing since getting married. My husband's family are the judgmental kind about how much a gift costs etc... They don't actually SAY, but they buy big, so we feel we have to do the same and yet we can't afford it. They hand out $50 bills to my kids for their birthdays, and we buy their kids a book. I don't want to do as they do because it's not my value system, and yet I know they judge us as "cheap." Also at Christmas, we draw names but people buy everyone a gift anyway! It's all a big show and how this family is and it really depresses me. I also don't care of the list making and the inlaws calling and asking what we want for Christmas. Why can't they choose something on their own?

Well, then there are my folks who DO choose on their own and I admit, the choices are rather stranger. I think they think I'm still 12. And I feel bad that what they give me usually ends up in the charity giveaway bag. :(

You touched a nerve with this topic!

kay said...

The only people I buy gifts for all the young children. Things they can use, clothes, books, etc. If I decide to get anyone else a gift it's money or a gift card. I don't like being obligated to give gifts especially for people who don't need anything else. I have told family and friends on many occasions to not get me anything. I don't need or want anything and I don't want to be a burden/obligation to anyone.

Arii said...

Here's a thought: as a married person we deserve more gifts because we have to put up with husbands and (usually) kids. We have to buy things for the "faaamily" when we'd prefer to buy things for "self"! Give us a pity gift or two, won't cha? :-)

eleanore said...

@Smokie: You might just have raised a very fair point! ;-)

April said...

I struggle with gift giving/receiving a lot. I think most of my friends do, too. But I'd be sad never to get a gift again, even though the whole process can be stressful, and I don't really need more *stuff*. Argh. :)

When one of my 2 best friends had her first child, I gave a gift for her first birthday ... and then felt obligated to continue doing that as that daughter grew older, she had another daughter, and my other best friend had 2 kids. (The three of us are friends.) In hindsight I wish I had never gotten started with that. One of the two friends gives me very generous Christmas and birthday gifts now, I think in recognition that I am spending extra money on birthday gifts for her kids, and I appreciate it. I feel a wee bit resentful that the other friend does not do this, and feel guilty about feeling that way!

When another dear friend had her first child, I gave that child a first b-day gift but am going to try hard to stop there. I'm not a wealthy person and need to stop things from getting completely out of control.

Anonymous said...

what to think when a guy takes because doesn't give?

Anonymous said...

whoops--that was 'what to think when a guy takes but doesn't give?'