Sunday, July 10, 2011

My Spinsterlicious Week: 3 Things

I was told by a couple of readers that I should post more about myself; not just what I think about stuff, but what I'm actually doing.  So, here we go:  3 things I did this week.  It was a pretty good week:


1.


On Friday, I had a most amazing dinner at Per Se  one of NYC's finest (and most expensive) restaurants.  My good friend, Benilde and her husband, and my lawyer/friend decided to treat ourselves to what truly was an exquisite experience.  The prie fixe menu is $295 per person (yep), which I thought was kinda ridiculous, but I love new experiences and I love a good story so I figured I'd get both of these if it satisfied and if it didn't.


But it did.  More than satisfied, as a matter of fact.  I went there half-way expecting to be disappointed.  I mean, really, how could any meal for one person be worth $300+?  And while I still think that's a ridiculous amount of money, I must say that we didn't feel robbed.  The views and decor are amazing.  The staff is abundant (we had 4 servers attending to us) and they were really nice.  Personable, helpful, and not uptight, fake, or stuffy like one often finds at expensive restaurants.


I would love to gush in detail about each dish, but I can't. Primarily because I didn't recognize most of the ingredients and to mention the few things I did recognize wouldn't do it justice.  We did joke that we think they made up some of the descriptions.  I mean, wtf is "sabayon" and "coulecot" anyway?  I still dunno, but I like them.  Every dish looked like a work of art and really was delicious.  There was only one dish most of us didn't like, which Cliff decided was "Spam masquerading as chicken".   Everything else was fab, though.  Dinner lasted 4 hours.  8 courses.   And I don't even want to think about how many calories we consumed.  I'm just glad this isn't something I can do all the time.  I'd have to buy a new wardrobe in a much bigger size (and refinance my house).




2.
On Thursday, I went to a dear friend's birthday dinner party.  She invited about 15 of her favorite girlfriends to her house for Mexican food and margaritas.  Lots of margaritas.  We played a "game" in which we each introduced ourselves and told how we first became friends with the Birthday Girl.  It was hilarious how many of our stories began with "Well, I didn't like her when I first met her"...though they all ended with how she's now one of our favorite people.  (People describe me that way, a lot, too.  The "not liking at first" thing).   It was so great being in a room with 15 fun, smart, and interesting women --some married, some not, with and without kids-- and just relaxing, laughing, drinking, and telling stories.  I got home around midnight with a smile on my face.




3.


On Wednesday, I explained to a 52-year-old man why we could be pals/platonic friends -or- he could maybe [insert sex act here]...but not both.  He seemed confused.








NOTE:  If you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe in the box on the right -or- if you have a Google Account, you can click on "Follow Me" also on the right, near the bottom.   You'll receive an email each time there's an update to the blog.  Don't miss a Spinsterlicious update!

4 comments:

Molly said...

I've been to Per Se and glad I had an opportunity to experience it, but honestly was a bit underwhelmed, especially at a total of $375. per person. But I'm glad you were thrilled and it was more special than you expected.

Sabayon is a traditional italian light egg based sauce that often includes marsala wine as an ingredient. It's cooked in a double boiler type copper pot so the eggs don't lump like scrambled eggs. It's real name is Zabaglione, but many fancyshmancy french places call it Sabayon.

I've never heard of coulecot and just called my Parisian friends and they've never heard of it either. I was intrigued and did a google search which turned up nothing. So maybe Thomas Keller made it up - which in my opinion, is his right to do with his culinary skills.

BTW, my favorite Per Se dish is the little ice cream cones filled with caviar. Did you love those? I could eat 100 of them and happily call it dinner!

Anonymous said...

I'm confused, he's not the only one! What sex act would you want him to do opposite to being a pal? And the Per Se experience you know I totally loved. The closest I came to that is the fixed price dinner at the Mandarin Oriental also in the TimeWarner Bldg, not quite as expense but the courses, unidentifiable good food and many waiters and the view from the windown priceless. Lastly, gatherings with girlfriends is about the best thing. So you had yet another great and interesting weekend. Auntdanny

eleanore said...

Aunt Danny: my point is that "pals" don't have sex. If he wants to do that then you can't think of me as just a pal. Feel free to call me for man-advice. 

Josie said...

Ah huh, now it's clear. He wanted to be a friend with benefits. . . so easy to say. . . much harder to do. For me at least :-(
Josie x