Friday, July 15, 2011

Is the Drink Just The Beginning?

I'm in the airport lounge waiting for my flight and a nice man just bought me a drink. This happens from time to time, as I mentioned in an earlier post, where I wrote about airport lounges as higher-end meat/meet markets, so to speak. (http://www.thespinsterliciouslife.com/2010/12/airport-meetmeat-market.html). This time, I'm not sure if I should be flattered. Coming off of the DSK news spectacle, Newsweek ran an article (http://www.newsweek.com/2011/06/05/hotel-confidential.html) about the way some men use the business trip as an opportunity to indulge themselves in some different nookie...far enough away from home and the wife that they might not get caught. So, this information sorta changes the whole dynamic. While i used to think that business men were just being friendly when they buy me a drink in the airport lounge --you know, we're both away and maybe missing home and interactions a bit-- now I'm thinking they may be sizing me up as the next temporary conquest.


So now I'm thinking is it something about the way I look...my body language...my outfit that makes him think I'm easy, that I'm game for this type of encounter? A prostitute, even? The article implied that there's a whole underground service industry that meets the needs of these gentlemen. I had no idea. (I wonder how much I would charge? Just kidding. I got a flight to catch). NOTE: If you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please (re)subscribe in the box on the right -or- if you have a Google Account, you can click on "Follow Me" also on the right, near the bottom. You'll receive an email each time there's an update to the blog. (It's a new service; if you registered earlier, you'll have to do it again. Sorry...and Thanks) - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Charleston,SC

2 comments:

Molly said...

I've been the recipient of many airport lounge drinks and think, as you do, that's it's just pleasant casual chatter while waiting for our flights. Hey, it's better than Angry Birds.

It's never occured to me that the guy is thinking that this might hold potential for a casual hook-up. (where, in the shower room of the lounge?).

On the opposite end of the spectrum I know some women who think that if a nice guy buys them a drink and chats with her, he might be Prince Charming and may turn out to be "the one".

In either case, all I can say is "so what?". If everytime we have a drink with a stranger we have to worry about what they think the meaning of the encounter is, it'll make us a society even more nuts than we already are.

We simply can't be responsible for another person's fantasies.

The Girl Who Wanted A Drink said...

A Drink can be anything all I care about is that I know a bit more about the guy before spending precious airport time with someone that might be so boring!!!
I use Buy Me A Drink so I know the perfect drinks come with the right man attached to it. Cheers! www.buymeadrink.net