Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Golden Door Consulting. Doing My Thing.


From 1998-2007, I was self-employed.  It was the best time of my career.   I loved the freedom and flexibility it gave me.   When I wasn't traveling, I'd sit at my computer in my pajamas until the middle of the day, with my darling Yorkie, Danny, at my feet.   When I didn't feel like working, I didn't.   Most of the time I worked really hard, but it didn't always appear that way to others.  They'd see me coming out of the movie theater at 2p and think I wasn't up to much.   What they didn't know is that at 2a many nights/mornings, I was still plugging away at a report that I was determined to get just right for my client.  


I loved the challenge of constantly changing assignments.  Every project was a different topic so there was never an opportunity to be bored.  I traveled, met and worked with great people, and only worked on stuff I liked.   It was good.


Then the recession hit and I got nervous, closed shop, and took a "real" job.   And then another one.   I made more great friends, but I was never as happy as I was when I was working for myself.   So, last year when it seemed the economy was on the mend, I dipped my toe back in by doing a few projects with a couple of former clients…mostly to see if I still had it.  I did.   And I still loved it.   So after a fiasco at my last job, I knew I was done.   I'm not going to put myself in another situation where I'm subject to the fancies of others and I'm not part of the conversation.  Not if I can help it.


So,  Golden Door Consulting is back in business full-time, and I'm just delighted.  I'm doing consumer research, ideation workshops, and strategic planning for ad agencies and all kinds of companies that have products or services to sell...same as before.  I missed it a lot and I'm glad to be back.   I even bought a new pair of pajamas to commemmorate my re-opening.




NOTE:  If you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe in the box on the right -or- if you have a Google Account, you can click on "Follow Me" also on the right, near the bottom.   You'll receive an email each time there's an update to the blog.  Don't miss a Spinsterlicious update

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You should do what makes you happy, fulfills your interests and pays the bills, allowing you to travel as you wish! Much success to Golden Door Consulting and you!

Rhona said...

Good for you. Living your authentic self is key to happiness. Wishing your business huge and wonderful success.

Josie said...

That sounds fabulous, just fabulous. Enjoy.
Josie x

DaisyMama said...

Thank you for your encouraging post! :)