Friday, May 6, 2011

Another Magic Baby

A few months ago I wrote a post about  The Magic Baby.   A baby who was able to transform her sourpuss pre-baby mother into a paragon of sunshine and light.  It really was like magic.  This woman went from ill-mannered to amiable in the blink of a birth. I was amazed.  By your comments, some of you were not, so I suppose it does happen.

Fast forward to today.  One of my favorite couples is also having a magic baby.  She's not even born yet and she already is putting her magical powers to use.  Her parents, when they're not pregnant, are each  a great combination of seriously funny and really smart.  Mom-To-Be is a partner at a major consulting firm that is known for its eggheads. That's how smart she is.  Almost-Daddy is creative but not a (too)crazy creative, creative in a good way.  He makes films and has had his work shown at MOMA (The Museum of Modern Art).  Up until now they've been appropriately normal in most ways that matter.


We've been preparing for this baby for 8 months.  I say "we" because we live kind of in a college dorm-like situation in that we're in and out of each others' apartments just about every day, sometimes without even knocking. I have a framed picture of her in utero on my shelf.  Somehow, I just know they're going to figure out a way to finagle a bassinet into my bedroom when I'm not looking.


Anyway, Little Ellie, as I've been calling her after myself, is using her magical powers to transform her parents from normal-ish to major-league loopy.  J and J have been surprisingly calm and even-keeled for a first pregnancy...at least up until now.   Well, they're still calm and even-keeled but they sent me into a tizzy when I saw one of their baby registries.  It's at an impossibly cute chi-chi store in Tribeca, and is filled with the kinds of things that I want to make fun of.  Like a nightlight in the shape of a bear for $95.00.  And several other zoo animals, similarly priced.   And a birch clothes tree.  And a crib mobile also for $95.00 (Is that the only number the store owners know)?

I was in a tizzy because everything was so darned cute and so darned expensive and so darned unnecessary...at least to me, Mother-of-None.  And what's troubling me even more?  I've been giving serious consideration to actually buying Ellie the Bear Light.  Somebody stop me.




NOTE:  If you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe in the box on the right -or- if you have a Google Account, you can click on "Follow Me" also on the right, near the bottom.   You'll receive an email each time there's an update to the blog.  Don't miss a Spinsterlicious update!

2 comments:

lauren said...

The Bear Light sounds adorable. Buy it. Since you live so close, you sneak in and enjoy it when nobody's looking. The baby won't mind.

maxbear said...

I say buy it too, in my honor as the real 'bear.'