Friday, September 9, 2011

Ten Years Ago, One September Morning

I live in New York City, about 2 miles from Ground Zero.  Ten years later, my memories are still vivid.  But when I think of Sept 11, 2001, my mind is filled with a series of cinematic shorts, so to speak, rather than a single memory or linear story:

Photo Credit: Kim Williams (Taken from our rooftop


  •  Bounding up the stairs to the roof of my building with a cup of coffee and my dog, somewhat excitedly,  to check out the "plane accident".  Lots of neighbors were already gathered and there was lots of animated conversation about "how the pilot could have made such an error"...and then silence as the second plane hit.  It was at that moment that we all knew at the same time that this was no accident. 

  •   I recall running from the roof down to my apartment, back up to the roof, down again to my apartment and repeating this many times.   My cell phone wasn’t working.   No one’s was.   I wanted to be in my apartment to let the family and friends who were calling know that I was ok, but I didn’t want to be in my apartment, I wanted to be on the roof watching, wondering, letting it all sink in.

  •  We milled around on the roof for hours, some yelling, some crying, all bewildered.  I was the president of my building's  co-op and felt a responsibility to make sure “my people” were ok.  I invited several down to my apartment where we stayed until late in the evening.  I picked up Chinese food, somebody brought beer, and there we stayed  glued to the television for any tidbit of news that would help us make sense of this terrible tragedy.

  •  At one point, we thought we should go to St Vincent’s, the neighborhood hospital, to donate blood.  The gravity of the situation really hit us when we learned that they didn’t really need blood.

  •  I made a really good friend that day.  Kim, a woman who I’d had a nodding acquaintance with, was one of those who came to my apartment to eat and comfort each other.  She took the photos of two towers, then one, then none that are still on my mantle (and the one in this post).

  •  The guy I was dating lived in Long Island, about 90 minutes away.  He thought we should be together during this time.  I didn't think it was that important…and I guess it dawned on me right then that this wasn’t the guy for me.

  • Around 9p, I wanted them all to go home.  I felt like I needed to be alone to really let it all sink in.  As long as I had a houseful of people, it wouldn’t feel quite real.  I knew it would only become real when I had to go back to trying to have a normal life…back to being alone in my apartment, just me and my dog.


I have zero memory of September 12.  I do recall, somewhat surprisingly, that life went on...pretty normally for the most part, rather quickly afterwards.  I also think I teared up for the first time ever the next time I heard our country's national anthem.

Ten years later, I was one of those who celebrated --unashamedly-- the killing of Osama Bin Laden.

What about you?  What do you think of when you remember September 11, 2001?


NOTE: If you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe "Via Email" in the box on the right. You'll receive an email when there's a new blog post.   Or "Like" Spinsterlicious on Facebook. Just click the button at the top of this page.   Or "Follow Me" on Twitter (button on the right).   Whatever you do, don't miss a Spinsterlicious update!   

Oh yeah.  And don't forget to visit  The Spinsterlicious Life SHOP!

8 comments:

Michael Ann said...

Thank you for sharing this photo and this memory. It is interesting for me to hear from people who actually witnesses it first-hand. I live in California so we just watched the tv. My husband and I were both home sick that day. Small kids were home and had no awareness of what was going on. I can't believe it has been 10 years.

King of New York Hacks said...

The second plane hitting...I hope to never experience a silence like that again...thanks for sharing...I still can't believe it 10 years either.

Deborah said...

I have a lot of memories, but they all seemed so disconnected from the horroe of what was happening that day. I was on my way to work when I heard the first plane hit. Got on the NYC subway and went over the Manhattan Bridge and could see the tower on fire, smoke andpapers flying all around. And I kept on going to work because that is what I do.
My building had a great conference space and we had rented itout that day to folks who came from all over the country. Once the towers fell, they were sent to their hotel to get their luggage, meeting ended, get to the airport, but of course no flights were taking off. I remember they had ordered lunch and the caterer delivered the food, but since they weren't there we invited the staff to have lunch before they tried to make their way home on foot, no subways running. We sat in the conference room eating their lunch when many of them returned, understanding there was no way to get to the airport. We invited them to join us for their lunch.
While everyone tried to make their way home, I decided to go to donate blood and walked down to the hospital to donate blood for the very first time! Only, the hospitals didn't need blood. I think not being able to donate blood that day has lead me to participate in many a blood drive since. And here we are ten years later! My thoughts are still with those who lost loved ones.

Trenia said...

I moved to NYC for grad school two weeks before September 11th. I was getting out of class when the first tower was hit. One of the professors had a radio so we all sat and listened just as the second tower was hit.

It was such a surreal moment. I went outside and realized my phone had about 20 messages and there was an announcement made over Broadway that said NYC was in a state of emergency. I spent much of that day glued to the TV, but I remember going to Times Square a couple weeks later and it was like a ghost town.

One thing is for sure, New Yorkers are resilient and willing to help and work together when it really counts.

Janine said...

It's really interesting to read first-hand accounts from New Yorkers rather than just the usual commentary and CNN footage, which I distinctly remember. Here, it was night time when it happened and bizarrely, I was at a launch party in a men's club. There were monitors all over the joint showing CNN (who did an amazing job with their coverage), contrasted with these writhing, oblivious pole dancers in the room. I was fascinated, thinking the footage on TV must be a movie. It couldn't be real. This stuff doesn't happen in America. When it dawned on us that it WAS real, we rushed home and stayed up most of the night watching CNN.
I think the event changed how I thought about my world. I still fear and loathe jihadists, and will probably never feel safe. I know that's what they wanted, but the truth is, they succeeded, in that respect. I can't lie.
Thinking of you all in NYC, and my mates on holiday there at the moment too. Always stay strong.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for linking up to my post here: http://www.chicagonow.com/ups-and-downs-of-a-yoga-mom/2011/09/september-11th-ten-years-later/

Your post gave me chills.

said...

Thank you for commenting on my series of Where were you 9/11/01? posts. Your story is amazing and the series of photos you mentioned on your mantle? Rare, tragic and beautiful.

Thank you SO much for sharing and for doing all you could for your fellow neighbors in their time of need.

I'm posting my story tomorrow.

Molly said...

I was at the gym in the building I was living in at the time and a neighbor who listened to the news on his headphones blurted out that a plane hit the WTC. We all ran up one flight to the roof and got there just as the 2nd plane hit. We were in shock.
I went back to my apt where my husband had just heard the news. We remained in the house for the next 2-3 days glued to the tv. It just didn't feel right to go outside to do ordinary chores while the world was in horror. We talked with neighbors, one who lost his brother, another, a flight attendant who was supposed to be on the flight but had called in sick. She lost her closest friends while a sore throat saved her life. She went into a deep depression and into therapy.
Downtown NYC was a ghost town, and restaurants such as the Odeon and David Bouley were feeding all the rescue workers for free, for months.

After some time, we went out of our way to support the downtown businesses so they could stay open.

Thanks for sharing your stories...