Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Summer 2011, Please Don't Leave Me!

I know, it happens every year around this time.  Labor Day weekend is the unofficial end to summer and I'm never ready.  I had a  pretty great summer this year, and my last summer weekend was quite nice as well.  (I do "time off" really well).

The Johnson family and my friend, Angie ( a sister-but-reluctant-Spinster), came out to my house on the eastern shore of Long Island to close out the summer.  We were blessed with great weather.  We kicked off Friday with happy hour at Dockers Waterside ...that lasted past a beautiful sunset and into the night, where we grooved a bit to Mean Machine              a band that played danceable covers of rock-'n'-roll favorites, sprinkled with a little reggae.  We started the night with white wine and ended it with Patron shots (Angie's fault).


The next day we went to the Hampton Classic, a horse show competition that I don't quite know enough about to understand the details except to know that I love going.  We left there and headed to the   Shinnecock Indian Pow-wow, my very first.  It was a little bit of a bust because we got there between "shows" and the next competition wasn't for 2 more hours.  We were too impatient to wait, though we did stay around long enough to sample the Indian pudding (made with corn meal, molasses and I-don't-know-what-else).


Mean Machine Band; Angie by the pool,  contemplating life;  Hampton Class rider; me and Native American dancer



That night, Angie made faux Pina Coladas out of rum and coconut-pineapple ice cream.  Yum!  The Johnsons didn't get any because they'd already fallen asleep.  (That's what having two kids will do to you).

We did a little window-shopping, ate (and maybe drank) a little too much but had fun doing it and, after all, it was the last weekend of summer.  We had to make it a good one!  

This is how I felt by the time I got back to the city.

Danny, exhausted
So, what about you?  How was your summer?  How did you close it out?




NOTE: If you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe "Via Email" in the box on the right. You'll receive an email when there's a new blog post.   Or "Like" Spinsterlicious on Facebook. Just click the button at the top of this page.   Or "Follow Me" on Twitter (button on the right).   Whatever you do, don't miss a Spinsterlicious update!   


Oh yeah.  And don't forget to visit  The Spinsterlicious Life SHOP!

2 comments:

Stella said...

Still waiting for summer here in Oz, will not be sad to say bye to winter though. Spring is definitely sprung (sorry, couldn't help it) and I'm embracing the sunshine. Stella

Janine said...

Stella, I have a different take on the seasons to you! While most Aussies are rushing out into the spring heat, stripping bare and screaming, "Burn me! Burn me!" to the sun, I'm already missing Sydney's glorious winter. "Cold weather" here lasts about two months, in my view, and is quite refreshing. Summer is a stinker, and you've gotta love the chafing that goes along with that stifling humidity. So to our friends in the US, please don't hate us - some of us would rather be you! Glad you all enjoyed your summer.