Wednesday, July 18, 2012

In Honor of Nora Ephron...with Thanks to Dove



I'm a huge fan of Nora Ephron, who we lost recently.  Fortunately her wise and witty words will be with me forever.  Just about everything she said and wrote is one of my favorites, but one of my favorite favorites is the chapter On Maintenance from her book I Feel Bad About My Neck.  She writes about the increasing amount of time a woman has to spend on maintaining her looks as she ages.  Or as she calls it: "Status Quo Maintenance…what you do just to stay more or less even…the routine, everyday things required just to keep you from looking like someone who no longer cares.”

I totally get it.  I've always been rather lazy about my beauty routine.  Typically, I do the least amount necessary to look good.  I was blessed with “decent enough” looks and, of course, I had my youth.  I felt those things were enough and I didn’t have to work too hard.

That’s all changed.  I probably should work harder about my Status Quo Maintenance beauty routine, but I’m still lazy.  So here’s how I make it work now:

  •  I bought a wig.  When I have a bad hair day, I don’t spend  a lot of time trying to fix it.  I put on my alternate hair.


  •  I’ve fallen in love with fake nails.  I’ve never been one to get regular manicures because there’s something about my nails and nail polish that doesn’t work.  By day three, I’m all chips.  But I like the look of manicured nails and now I have them almost all the time. They go on in minutes and last a week or two.  No muss, no fuss.


  • False eyelashes.  I’m getting better at putting them on straight, so I don’t look drunk.  When I get them right, they look better and are easier and faster than daily mascara because I wear them until they start to fall off.


  •   New Dove® VisibleCare Renewing Crème Body Wash.  This one was a pleasant surprise.  I agreed to do a review of this new product because I’m always looking for something to make my skin look good.  In the summer, I like to take a shower at night.  I typically dry off and hop right into bed.  Moisturizing is too much trouble at that time, so when I wake up my skin has been replaced by that of an alligator. 


So, I looked forward to seeing what Dove could do for me.  What they told me is: Dove Renewing Body Wash nourishes and replenishes skin.  It’s part of  a revolutionary line of premium body wash from Dove.
It contains the highest concentration of NutriumMoisture technology across the Dove portfolioIt gives you visibly more beautiful skin in just one week.

What I learned is that I can now take my nightly shower,  jump into bed without moisturizing, and my skin doesn’t scare me in the morning.  It actually looks pretty good.  I love that.  “Visibly more beautiful skin from a body wash” seems to be true.

If you want to know more about this new line from Dove, go to
http://www.dove.us/There’s also a sweepstakes for two $500 spa gift cards, and a coupon.

Now, if only I can find a lip gloss that stays on until I take it off.





Visit Dove® VisibleCare® to get a coupon for $1 off!

Enter to win one of two $500 Spafinder gift certificates!
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
COMMENTS TO THIS POST ARE NOT SWEEPSTAKES ENTRIES. PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR ENTRY METHODS FOR THIS SWEEPSTAKES.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
a) Follow this link, and provide your email address and your response to the Promotion prompt
b) Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: "#SweepstakesEntry"; and then visit this link to provide your email address and the URL to that Tweet.
c) Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and then visit this link to provide your email address and the URL to that post.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. Winners will have 72 hours to claim the prize, or an alternative winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 7/18/2012 - 8/22/2012
Be sure to visit the Dove® VisibleCare™ Crème Body Wash brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ reviews and find more chances to win!

3 comments:

Janine said...

So wait - you think your beauty routine is "lazy", yet you have false nails, false lashes and wigs? I think you go the extra mile, woman! Mind you, I've tried all three in the past, but I had an manicurist in training who destroyed my nails for life, now I feel "naked" if I don't go out without polish on. Same with lippy. Moisturiser is a must. Because I'm white, wigs are more obvious. However one of my neighbours is about 65 and every single day is at the ferry wharf wearing a big, blonde, Dolly-style wig and fabulous, perfect make-up. She's like a splash of colour in a suburb full of conformists in Country Road, so good on her! At our age, it's down to whatever makes you feel good.

eleanore said...

@Janine: That's so funny. I think false nails, false lashes, and a wig are soooo much easier than trying to make the real thing look the way I want them to. And they take much less time!

D C Cain said...

I'm going to buy this product. I hope it's as great as the reviews. I hate putting on lotion.

I don't care for makeup and such. My mom always told me to hold off on wearing makeup until I need it...and I'm 40 with no lines or wrinkles because base doesn't touch my face. I do wear concealer under my eyes because I have hereditary dark circles (especially when I don't get enough sleep). I also wear lip gloss. I used to do the eyelashes (got them done individually and they lasted a week -- you WAKE UP pretty when you have on lashes...hmm...I need to start doing that again.) No wigs. Just wrap, unwrap, and go. Nails? Well, yes, the nail salon is my place of relaxation, and PART OF being lazy. My personal indulgence. I get my nails done with a nice shellac - the polish lasts 2 weeks. Love a good pedicure, too.