Tuesday, April 3, 2012

What I Learned From My Awesome Book Launch Party


The  launch party for my new book,  The Spinsterlicious Life: 20 Life Lessons for Living Happily Single and Childfree was held last Thursday in New York City.  It was wonderful in every way: beautiful venue, good food and drink,  and a really good vibe with 78 of my favorite people.  I was very happy.

Me, collecting my thoughts before the crowd arrives


A fab group of people


It was held at Blondie's Treehouse, a landscape and floral design shop.  I wanted a location that was different from your typical restaurant party room, and Sara Baerwald was kind enough to let me use her space.  What a nice lady.

Blondie's Treehouse

Blondie's Treehouse



My sister, Phyllis, came up from Washington, DC for the event, and we celebrated with a whole host of my neighbors, colleagues, and old and new friends.

The Wells girls

Fun crowd

Happily signing

Beauty shot  :-)

Sharing my story about my encounter with Hugh Jackman



I'm loving the feedback I'm getting about the book, and there are two comments in particular that make me especially happy, primarily because they were unexpected.  

  • So many people have said  "I laughed out loud" while reading it, which is great because I didn't know I was so funny.  But more importantly, I'm happy to hear the book is funny because it takes some of the gravitas out of what can be a very heavy subject for lots of single women who are tired of explaining themselves.  A lighthearted approach to this should help to communicate that singledom shouldn't be a big deal, and  it paves the way for a friendlier dialogue.  


  • I'm pleased at how many non-Spinsterlicious women (because they're married) are reading my book and enjoying it.  My targeted audience is single women but, as one woman pointed out, "the lessons are relevant for anyone trying to have a good life."  And really, that's kind of the whole point, isn't it?   A single woman --at her core-- really isn't necessarily any different from a married woman; it's really about what kind of life she's chosen to build for herself.  


It's been great hearing this kind of feedback.  And I'd love more.  For those of you who've read the book, please tell us:
  • What was your favorite part?
  • What did you not like?
  • What surprised you?
  • What made you laugh?









NOTE: The Spinsterlicious Life: 20 Life Lessons for Living Happily Single and Childfree-- has been published and is available here and  hereand on Amazon.

 And if you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe "Via Email" in the box on the right. You'll receive an email when there's a new blog post. Or "Like" Spinsterlicious on Facebook. Just click the button at the top of this page. Or "Follow Me" on Twitter (button on the right). Whatever you do, don't miss a Spinsterlicious update!

4 comments:

ACSather said...

I read it on the plane ride out to San Francisco and was inspired by your courage to share so much of yourself, all of it...especially the parts that definitely could bring some v harsh criticism.

You're brave.

Thank you.

Your fan ;)

D C Cain said...

You look fantastic. Love the hair. And the venue looks so inviting. Hate that I'm in Texas. LOL I've read the excerpts online and it's a quick, funny, insightful, and rather interesting read. I'll let you know my favorite parts when I actually purchase the book. Congrats!

Jana said...

Got my copy in the mail from Amazon yesterday! Love what I've read so far. I so get you! I'm glad you've put thoughts we've all thought at one point or another down in this book.
Loving Life! as a spinsterlicious single!

Unknown said...

I read the sample last night on my Kindle, and I'll be purchasing it tonight during my "reading time."

So happy to hear that your book launch went well - loved the photos! :)