Friday, November 18, 2011

What To Do About "Him" at Thanksgiving?



I love Thanksgiving.  It’s my favorite holiday.  It’s a kick-off to the holiday season (Halloween doesn’t count), and the best holiday, as far as I’m concerned.  Everyone celebrates it and there aren’t a lot of rules: eat well, enjoy each other’s company, pack up some leftovers. But if you’re single-and-dating, Thanksgiving may also be the kick-off to a “what are we doing” conversation.

If you’re a married woman, you have Thanksgiving dinner with your husband. It might be somewhere you’re excited to be, it might be somewhere you’re not excited to be, but wherever it is, you’re there with your husband.  If you’re single-and-dating, a conversation often has to be had: "Where are you having Thanksgiving dinner? Are we having it together?"

This conversation can get complicated. And it can also make a statement about the status of the relationship.

If the relationship is seriously serious, you’re having Thanksgiving dinner together. ‘Where’ is another discussion, but you’ll be together. (If you think y’all are serious and you’re not celebrating this holiday dinner together, somebody’d better have a really good excuse, like… well, actually I can’t think of one).

If you’re dating, not-celebrating-Thanksgiving-together makes a statement.  It can say, “I really dig you, but I’m not ready to bring you into the group.”  Maybe.  It might not mean anything much at all.  It could also mean we can’t both afford to travel to ‘X’ place, so I’ll call you when I get there.  It could mean “My family won’t forgive me if I don’t come,” and you’re both saying that.  But it often really does mean—spoken or not—“We’re not that serious, we’re just having fun.”

When it’s a new relationship, I vote for separate holidays.  There’s too much going on: family, friends, stress, “who is this,” etc.  Just call each other that morning and again after dinner and say something sweet.

I guess I’m a slow learner, because I’ve made this mistake more than once.  A time that stands out to me:  I agreed to spend Thanksgiving with a guy I hadn’t been dating for very long, and it didn’t go so well. Too forced a situation for a new relationship.  I acted like a real ass...but and that was not my plan. I’d known him only a few weeks; he asked what I was doing for Thanksgiving, we were on a fun date, and it made sense to invite him to join me and my friends.

But early in the Thanksgiving week, I got an inkling that I might not want to spend Thanksgiving with him after all. I was getting to know him better and decided I didn’t like him as much as I thought. He was way too aggressive all the time, and I found it tiring. But I couldn’t think of a way to un-invite him two days before the big day. Plus, I figured it would be easier in a group.

In the car on the way to dinner, I knew this was a mistake.  I didn’t like him at all.  So what did I do?  I introduced him to everybody when we got there…and pretty much ignored him for the rest of the day. I always made sure he was somehow engaged; there were a lot of people there, so there was always someone for him to talk to.  Just not me. I know that wasn’t very nice, but I just didn’t know what else to do.  Needless to say, that was our last date (though he was, oddly, willing to keep giving it a try). Now, if the guy and I aren’t at least kinda serious, we go our separate ways.  Post-Thanksgiving turkey together is just fine.

So…I say Thanksgiving is for real couples, and can also work if you just like each other a lot.  If it’s new, wait until next year. If you’re still together, then go for it.



NOTE:  If you like "Spinsterlicious" and want to be notified of new posts, please subscribe "Via Email" in the box to the right.  You'll receive an email when there's a new blog post. Or "Like" Spinsterlicious on Facebook.  Just click the "Like Facebook" button at the top of this page.   Or  "Follow Me" on Twitter (button on the right).  Whatever you do, don't miss a Spinsterlicious update!

Oh yeah.  And don't forget to check out the NEW items in the The Spinsterlicious Life SHOP!



17 comments:

Michael Ann said...

This sounds like perfectly sound advice to me! Thanksgiving if my favorite holiday too.....

Lin said...

Eleanore-
Have a happy Thanksgiving.

The Singlutionary said...

I'm not a big fan of Thanksgiving so I usually hide out on my own. I'm not a big fan of holidays in general. One thing that I WOULD need in a relationship is the space to NOT have to attend holidays together. Once, when I suggested this to a married friend, she told me that when she got married she "made a new family" with her husband and so she would be with him every holiday even if it meant never spending holidays with her family (whom she loved). She is now divorced.

Anyways, holidays are tricky and complicated and have their own special traditions. I only spend about 10 days a year in my hometown and in the future I expect to spend less. There are already too many people to see in such a short period of time and "quality time" is at a premium. I'm reluctant to give up this time to be with someone else's family doing their rituals -- at least not every year.

T. Thema Martin said...

Eleanore, I read why you started this blog. Here is where I am confused and need some clarification. Are you saying that you don't want to marry or have a partner like Goldie Hawn and Angelina Jolie or are you saying that if a man who came along who was a fit for you that you would trade in your single life? I enjoy being single and having male friends to do stuff with; however, I would trade it in if the right man came along and was a fit for me even if we didn't get married and were like Goldie or Angelina. So are you saying that you don't want a husband or the like period?

eleanore said...

@Thelma: I've always liked having a boyfriend; I can't ever recall wanting to make it permanent...or even attempting to.

At this stage of my life, I wouldn't mind something long-term if the right guy came along, but I still can't imagine living in the same space all day every day with him. Ideal scenario: we'd both want to hang around for the long haul...living in separate houses. Single, but connected.

T. Thema Martin said...

Eleanore, now I understand. That makes sense. For you, it is more about you need your own space. I totally agree. I have always said that my ideal situation is a permanent, long term V-style relationship where I am the secondary relationship.

eleanore said...

@Thelma: "V-style relationship"? "Secondary relationship? I don't know know what they mean. Please enlighten me.

eleanore said...

@Lin: Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, doll!

T. Thema Martin said...

Eleanore, a V-relationship is part of polyamory. In layman's term, it is what the French refer to as a man having a wife and a mistress, who was okayed by the wife. The man is at the center, and he has a relationship with 2 women who do NOT interact with each other at all. With a V, all 3 people agree that there will only be 3 people involved; hence, no swinging or other outside relationships. Once again, the key is all 3 people agree with the V style. However, this type of relationship is hard to find because usually when a man wants a woman to have as a secondary relationship, it is strictly for sexual purposes, not as a multi-level relationship. A secondary is the NON-wife/domestic partner. I have yet to find a V relationship because most men want a woman to have an affair with, which, of course, is not a V. The advantage of a V is it is perfect for a man because men want variety, and for many men, 2 women is enough variety. A V is great for 2 women who need their own space part time. For example, the man may live with his primary, who is his wife/partner, during the week, and live with the secondary on the weekends. I have been in a quasi-version of a V twice, but they didn’t work out because open, upfront and honest communication was not there. I have been invited to join twice, but both times, they were strictly looking for a sex partner, so I declined. I cannot think of anyone who has one in real life, not even a celebrity. Here's an old article that talks about it http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/nov/13/usa.paulharris.

T. Thema Martin said...

It looks like the link got cut off. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/nov/13/usa.paulharris.

T. Thema Martin said...

I am not sure why the article links keeps cutting off, but you can Google the name of the article: Forget monogamy and swinging. We're seriously polyamorous by Paul Harris.

eleanore said...

@Thelma: Oh my! The things I'm learning from this blog! I'm into monogamy, so a V-relationship wouldn't work for me...though I'm curious to hear comments from others

Recently single again... said...

Wow, this is great advice....I love the idea of single but connected. Someone recently brought this up to me that a family member had a long term relationship but live in different homes. It works for them and they have a healthy relationship that keeps them happy. Matter of fact, they live minutes away from one another.

Anonymous said...

Your assumption that if one is married that both of them will be together for Thanksgiving.
For the past 3 years, including this one, my wife has blown me off to be with her adult kids. She claimed this year she would be home and then decided at the last minute to blow me off again.
Consequently, the "holidays" become just another day for me and I can't wait until January 2nd.

Nicole NA said...

Such good advice. I agree with you. If the relationship is new, it makes sense to not try and force being together on Thanksgiving. If it’s not that new and the two of you can’t find a way to fit into each other’s plans, then I guess there’s something really wrong with this picture. I have experience on both fronts. Except for my first boyfriend, I have had to drag dates (and boyfriends I thought were serious) to Thanksgiving dinners, kicking and screaming, only to create awkward situations. Never again!

I have opted for a solo Thanksgiving this year. I’m really looking forward to it. This will be the first time in history that I have dared to do this; and I’m actually quite excited about the it too…

mypixieblog said...

It's so funny because I have been giving a lot of thought to this myself lately. I recently started dating a guy about 6 weeks ago and it seems to have progressed at a really nice pace. When I spoke to my family (my parents are hosting Thanksgiving this year) my mom asked me to invite him along. I was nervous and apprehensive--not because I wasn't comfortable with him, but I just thought maybe it was too soon--but I suggested it to him anyway.

Surprisingly, he totally went along with it. He's made it very known that he likes me and wants to make a good impression on my family... and honestly, I really like this one. Who knows what the future holds, but I have a fun family and they're warm and inviting... What's the WORST that can happen (famous last words)?

jaybird2020 said...

And if you give online dating a try this holiday season, you'll be thankful you follow the six learnings in this funny YouTube video called "What I learned from Online Dating." Happy holidays: http://tinyurl.com/3q9lazx